1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary schools open in June, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ridleyrumpus, May 10, 2020.

1. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

Negative. Would you just simply leave your school during school hours to go for long walks. You should be working during the hours you normally work. But as for the virus, we can't stay in lockdown forever. I know that is what Labour voters and unions want.

TheHeadteachersOffice likes this.
  2. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

You sound like a caller to a radio programme last night who said that teachers should have their pay stopped because they are all at home ‘in their hot tubs’, doing nothing.

Mind you, there was a poster on here (can’t remember the thread), who thought it was crazy having us going in, because we all just sat around doing nothing. Someone pulled them up on it, which they didn’t like.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Because the tax payer always pays teachers in state schools. And teachers are still teaching, so the tax payer still pays.
    Teachers out in the day and then using their evenings to plan for the following morning and answer emails, etc is perfectly reasonable.

Some teachers from independent schools are furloughed at the moment, so cannot work.

4. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

But it was not just schools that re-opened while the rest of Denmark was still under lockdown.

The rate raising is down to a set of restriction liftings. (I seem to remember Newsnight and a government spokesperson say it was believed schools re-opening would raise the R rate by 0.1 BUT remember, we are talking only about some primary school classes and then most for a month only before 6 weeks off)

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I used to teach in a school where using our afternoon of PPA for things other than school work was actively encouraged. The head realised we all worked evenings and weekends and so was keen for us to have hair appointments, go for walks, do the supermarket shop, etc when it was quieter and would provide a break from the madness that is teaching.
    I believe many schools still have this mentality.

BetterNow, strawbs, ACOYEAR8 and 5 others like this.
  6. TheHeadteachersOffice

TheHeadteachersOffice Occasional commenter

To be frank I think the government will be having a fight with unions whether the plan is to open in June or September. I don’t expect the unions to co-operate at all.

All the evidence shows that the groups of children identified for attendance in August are highly unlikely to catch or transmit the virus in any meaningful way. With safety precautions in place, I cannot see why these year groups cannot go back in a gradual manner.

I accept that there are some issues in regards to travel to work etc, but that is really no different from any other job.

I would add that if the teaching units has been more receptive to online teaching instead of putting up constant barriers, I think there’d have been less pressure for a quick return. So they have made a rod for their own back in that sense.

The unions are clearly not going to discuss a return to school sensible at any time, so I think the government may be forced to plough on without them.

7. cassandramark2

cassandramark2 Lead commenter

Hopefully you will have a chance to do your bit, as a supply teacher, in the summer holidays, given Gavin Williamson’s statements today in the HOC.
    You must have been hit hard, financially, so I can see how your perceptions have been formed.
    Like others here, I had never worked so hard in my 26 year career until I was interrupted at 7 pm on a Sunday evening (whilst emailing parents of my pupils) by a phone call informing me of a tragedy in my own family. When I get through the next, very difficult fortnight, I will resume my work.

Every single one of my colleagues have said that it is far easier to teach normally than to manage everything remotely, whilst balancing the needs of Keyworker pupils and the vulnerable, who are still attending in person. Those who have not experienced this situation cannot truly understand the reality.

8. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Working from home isn't the same as working in school. Instructions from our school are not to work the hours we usually work, but to make sure we do the work we need to do within the time scale set. As others suggest, that is perfectly reasonable.

9. Stiltskin

Stiltskin Star commenter

What evidence is this?

10. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I did offer some back in post 62, I think?

https://www.sciencemuseumgroup.org.uk/hunting-down-covid-19/

From it:

Children under 10 are less likely to get infected than adults and if they get infected, they are less likely to get seriously ill. What is interesting is that even if children do get infected, they are less likely to transmit the disease to others than adults. We have not found a single instance of a child infecting parents.

11. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

a1976 said:
    "You should be working during the hours you normally work."
    Hard to believe that someone would honestly have the temerity to dictate how others should be dividing their time. Perhaps a1976 should not be posting during " normal working hours". or better still, not at all if the only intention is to snipe.

12. mrajlong

mrajlong Senior commenter

They could furlough us until October, of course. And then all us lazy teachers could sit at home doing F all for 80% wages (paid by the taxpayer)! Imagine how much gardening/car-washing I could get done.

13. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

It wont though will it? All lockdown is doing is frankly suspending mass transmission. Unless there is a vaccine and/or a major change in the way society operates- people mixing will see levels rise

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  14. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

Of virus general- yeah. But again. This isn’t going anywhere for maybe 18 months. We need solutions really don’t we?

I don’t mind if people say ‘online learning’ for 18 months... but its no good simply offering nothing. This isn’t directed at you btw. Just general opinion

15. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

This is from a study of a total of 1321 people who tested positive for the virus in Iceland in the period running up to April 4th 2020.

There is no information showing how many (if any) of those who tested positive were children, so the study can hardly be used as evidence that children in R, Yr 1 and Yr 6 in England are highly unlikely to catch or transmit the virus.

16. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I agree with much of this. I honestly do.... but my wife who is a social worker is working. Key worker. My sister a nurse, key worker..

We don’t have a moral right IMO to take full pay and obstruct going back...

Yeah, I’m working from home. But I’m not going to kid people that I’m working the same as going to school.... I appreciate those in primary schools may be a little different.

When I took on this job, I took the public service aspect seriously...

Now I’m not gung ho. If I felt at serious risk- I wouldn’t. But I am a 30-something bloke who probably has more risk dying in a motorway pile up on the way to work... and no disrespect- same goes for most current staff..

The risk of no education isn’t fair on the kids.. these threats of not going back to work isn’t fair on our fellow key workers.

Now, I accept there is a unique element for us and that’s 30 people in one room... but let’s have a grown up discussion of how we mitigate risk. Not just shut down reality.. not going back until sept, Oct etc isn’t an option with a virus that has v little risk of significantly harming children, and little risk of significantly harming *most* teachers.

CaptainTuttle and Jesmond12 like this.
  17. RaggyBull

RaggyBull New commenter

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-52650259

Department for Education's chief scientific adviser, Osama Rahman, appearing before the Science and Technology Committee, told MPs there was only "low confidence" in evidence suggesting that children transmit Covid-19 any less than adults.

18. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

Teaching Units? Is that what you call your teachers? I’m going to have to remember that one...

19. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I agree not everyone is of the same view. But we do have a top scientist in Iceland says there is little to no evidence of children transmitting the disease, based on targeted testing.

More here:

https://adc.bmj.com/content/early/2020/05/05/archdischild-2020-319474

Some regions have implemented widespread community testing, such as South Korea and Iceland. Both countries found children were significantly underrepresented. In Iceland, this is true both in targeted testing of high-risk groups compared with adults (6.7% positive compared with 13.7%) and in (invited) population screening, there were no children under 10 found to be positive for SARS-CoV-2 compared with 0.8% of the general population

20. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

I'm not saying we shouldn't go back until September; I'm saying we shouldn't go back unless and until it is safe to do so. Nobody is 'obstructing' going back - we all want the same thing, to go back when it is safe to do so.

The government is saying that all other workers should maintain social distancing and wear face masks in situations 'where there is a risk of close social contact with people you don't usually meet and where social distancing and other measures cannot be maintained, for example on public transport or in some shops'. They have said this 'does not apply to schools or other educational settings', which is patently untrue - social distancing is not possible in a class of 15 children, least of all among the youngest.

How can it be right for teachers to be advised to observe social distancing and wear a face covering when they go to the supermarket but not when they are spending 5 hours in an enclosed space with 15 children where social distancing cannot be maintained?