1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary schools open in June, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ridleyrumpus, May 10, 2020.

1. PeterQuint

PeterQuint Lead commenter

I think this is heading one way.

The unions will say that, if everyone else’s workplace has 2m distancing, so should their members, and they’d refuse to support any return involving anything less.

I suspect it’d be bordering on the impossible, if not actually so, to get 15 pupils and a teacher in most UK classrooms with anything like 2m distancing.

The whole thing will collapse, unless so few pupils are allowed in at once that it’d be pointless.

2. Patriciahh

Patriciahh New commenter

It sounds to me like the government are going to start to say that children do not need to social distance. The scientist explaining this in this evening's briefing used words like " a little bit" and " probably" Not feeling me with confidence that there is any truth in this. All I can say is that in the present climate - 3 weeks is a long way away - let's hope we have some strong evidence at that point to help us to return with confidence,

Pomza, DYNAMO67 and -Maximilian- like this.
  3. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

Other countries are taking 8-10 students per classroom, not 15, there is no way of getting 15 in.

4. strawbs

strawbs Established commenter

GirlGremlin likes this.
  5. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

Just listened to a primary teacher from Denmark. They have been back at school for 6 weeks. Complete rearrangement of of the school was necessary in Denmark. One way systems in corridors, different zones where students play in small groups, frequent hand washing and no ppe for teachers. I was surprised at the lack of ppe. But it seems to work. Social distancing is applied where possible in Denmark. I did not hear if they reduced class sizes.

6. strawbs

7. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We're an independent and only have 15 children (approx) per class anyway. However our rooms are less than half the size of most state school primary rooms, so it's a real squash. Similar spacing would mean about 4-6 children per class, so hardly worth it.

Lara mfl 05 and agathamorse like this.
  8. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

In their guidance document, the government have said that "wearing a face mask or face covering in schools is not recommended. Face coverings may be beneficial for short periods indoors where there is a risk of close social contact with people you do not usually meet and where social distancing and other measures cannot be maintained, for example on public transport or in some shops. This does not apply to schools or other education settings."

Quite how the government has decided that social distancing can be 'maintained' by young children in schools but not by adults in shops and on public transport is unclear.

9. strawbs

@Lalad crazy that isn't it - wear a mask in Asda where you may have fleeting contact with a stranger, but no need to in a classroom with 15 people for a whole day!

10. Sundaytrekker

Sundaytrekker Star commenter

A viral expert has just said on the news that children are super spreaders for the virus. That’s why we’re scared.

11. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Senior commenter

He is a virologist from Cambridge University. Acknowledgement that kids are super spreaders of viruses yet no PPE needed in schools and that social distancing is not possible?!

12. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Senior commenter

13. a1976

a1976 Established commenter

I don't think it's madness. I think we need to get on with it. We can't stay in lockdown forever. If you can't work, you can't eat.

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  14. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

'We'?

Social distancing cannot be maintained by most children in schools.
    Heads know that; teachers know that; parents know that.

The government guidance is based on the false assumption that it can: we are being used as guinea pigs in an ill-advised experiment to get other people back to safe, strictly regulated workplaces.

15. a1976

I don't think so.

16. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

The face mask for primary schools won't work and could be most counter productive.

As was saying on another thread.... I was in China during the breakout and ordered to wear one.

It was impossible to do for extended periods as it restricts breathing and makes you feel hot.

Even in China the kids could not and would not keep them on.

The big problem then is the masks trap any dirt and potential virus in them, get dirty quickly and are forever being handled and adjusted by everyone, kid or adult.

Hands that then touch surfaces around them.

Far better off imo to educate people not to touch their faces and have hands free wash dispensers everywhere and used regularly.

17. sgk10

sgk10 New commenter

Yes but we are not childcare. We are educators and this is undermining our profession. There are far too many risks in going back in June

18. a1976

Well, unfortunately, we can't hide forever. Mortgages and bills have to be paid. Tell you what, why don't we let shops, pubs, restaurants, etc open and the little darlings and the nannies can hide inside. The government can start online companies to deliver education and those who can afford it can go to independent schools.

19. DYNAMO67

DYNAMO67 Lead commenter

I find myself agreeing with the more radical here....

This two metre thing is an arbitrary number, and people are getting hung up on it.

Simple fact is that eventually we’ll reach a point where we’ll first hit an equilibrium and then we’ll see the long term threat of the lack of education outweigh the risk of the virus to the bulk of the population.

We’re going have to have precautions. We are going to have to change the way we do things. But it isn’t going to be an option to wait until all risk is mitigated.... I don’t think we’re at this stage YET but at some point, if people want the benefit of furlough, NHS people have to start to take managed risk....

The consequences of kids of reception age losing so much time in school is catastrophic.

I’m not talking a gung ho approach here, but there are many who are forgetting we are public servants here. We chose this as we believe in the greater good of society. And people like us who are low risk have to manage it at some point and bite the bullet...

agathamorse, dumpty and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  20. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

While true the government has said 'where there are not enough teachers TA's can take classes'.

This would indicate they are determined to get kids back NOT for any purposeful or structured education but so parents can get out and start paying the furlough money back.