1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary schools open in June, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ridleyrumpus, May 10, 2020.

1. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

@Patriciahh, I'm Year 6 too and like you, I'd expected 6 and 5. On reflection, I might have only had Year 6 back for a couple of days of socially distanced 'fun' and goodbyes, then focussed on Year 5. Assuming they're going to keep this year's SATS papers for 2021, we've got an awful lot of ground to cover with Year 5 before then! But it's not my decision - we'll just have to go with the flow.

2. brush75

brush75 New commenter

The 50 page report includes this

"The Government’s ambition is for all primary school children to return to school before the summer for a month if feasible, though this will be kept under review."

Hmm.

3. drvs

drvs Star commenter

No room to mention the wellbeing of children and their families here?

Supplylady likes this.
  4. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Star commenter

"The Government’s ambition is for all primary school children to return to school before the summer for a month if feasible, though this will be kept under review."
    My ambition is for me to grow wings and fly before the summer if feasible, though I will keep this under review.

5. Supplylady

Supplylady New commenter

I agree with you. Year 5 and Year 6 would be able to cope but Reception and Year One is a big mistake.

agathamorse likes this.
  6. chickenlady4

chickenlady4 Occasional commenter

I hear that Gavin Williamson has told NEU that there will be no social distancing in primary schools in June. Not first hand but the result of the union meeting.

-Maximilian- and agathamorse like this.
  7. Patriciahh

Patriciahh New commenter

BetterNow and Supplylady like this.
  8. Sally006

Sally006 Lead commenter

Utterly insane. So a full class of 30 back in? That just cannot be acceptable to the Unions. Teachers cannot agree to that - lambs to the slaughter.

9. Corvuscorax

Corvuscorax Star commenter

There are several local schools who have already informed staff and parents that they will not be reopening in June

10. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

The scenario envisaged by the government seems to be that Yrs R, 1 and 6 start back on 1st June, followed 3 weeks later by all children with no social distancing whatsoever.

That's fine if by then things have improved so much that social distancing is no longer in place for anyone else - but it seems foolish to make such an assumption based on the current situation.

11. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

That’s really interesting, what area are you in?

12. Owleyes00

Owleyes00 New commenter

I fail to see how we can possibly be at this point in what is maybe 6 weeks time?

Lalad and -Maximilian- like this.
  13. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

I am not sure how many it is in each school but we should remember this is year 6, 1 and reception joining those already there (key worker kids).

I doubt now there is any chance the other classes won't follow and primary schools be almost fully operational for all of July at least - and that maybe the gov is basing this on evidence from Denmark where resistance to starting was strong and many stayed away at first but then as the days passed more and more parents brought their kids back and yes, the schools are back to normal there. (With as much distancing and hygiene as possible)

I was listening to him in the HoC and at one point he seemed irritated by a 'you are going to kill us' question re the schools and he went from 'we hope ' to 'we ARE going to re-open schools from June 1st'

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  14. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

I heard it was Yr 6 because they need to be prepared for their transition to Secondary School - a big change for them and Yr R and yr1, becausethey are so young and coping less well with home-schooling, not being so used to 'the school system' and because those are the years where those essential skills need to be taught and possibly need more 'expert' direction than most parents are able to provide.

That would make sense if that's their thinking, though I do think they may not be in 'full-size classes' but either spread around several classrooms or on different days. And yes I'd be more worried about yr 5 too.

As to whether any children should be returning is a whole different question and despite our petition and my most recent Union email, doesn't seem as if the government is taking much notice of our concerns. :(

-Maximilian- likes this.
  15. OG19

OG19 New commenter

I didn't know Denmark schools are back to normal. I thought they were still working on the small group/one way systems/staggered days/shorter days model?

-Maximilian- likes this.
  16. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Yes, I should have made it clearer they refer to attendance figures.

They do indeed have distancing and hygiene measures in place...I will try to find the actual article I based my post on.

17. bessiesmith2

bessiesmith2 New commenter

I'm not sure why Y1 & Reception are being considered priorities. Many other countries - some with superior education systems than ours - start formal schooling at 6 or 7 and the children seem to learn much more quickly once they start. If the government feel it is safe to bring back three year groups then 4, 5 & 6 would make more sense.

fluffyowl, agathamorse and BetterNow like this.
  18. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

see my reply here

19. GirlGremlin

GirlGremlin Occasional commenter

So are Year 10 and 12 in from the 1st June? Very, very confused.

20. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Letter from the union this afternoon...sent to all members.
    Dear XXXX

The Government has today released its plan to end the lockdown.

In “OUR PLAN TO REBUILD: The UK Government’s COVID-19 recovery strategy”, it says that nursery, reception, year 1 and year 6 pupils will go back to school on 1 June.

It then goes on to say that the Government hopes all primary pupils will be back at school a few weeks later.

In secondary schools and colleges, year 10 and year 12 pupils will have some face-to-face tuition next half term. There are no clear conditions to decide how or when this goes forward.

We agree with the British Medical Association (BMA) that the Government’s plan is too fast, too confusing and too risky. We don’t accept that schools can safely open more widely on 1 June.

So far the Government has not engaged with us to discuss any further advice on social distancing, testing in schools, PPE or about those who are vulnerable, including BME staff.

No school or college can make plans based on the information we currently have from Government.

Our strong advice is that, on this basis, you should currently not engage with any planning based on a wider reopening of schools.

If your head asks you if you will be available for wider working after 1 June, we urge you to reply that you are waiting further advice from your union.

Please look out for further guidance – we will be in touch soon.

Best wishes to you and your family at this worrying time,

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mary Bousted
    Joint General Secretary
    National Education Union
    Kevin Courtney
    Joint General Secretary
    National Education Union

PS: We have a very important Zoom call for reps on Thursday and it is crucial that every school is represented.

agathamorse, -Maximilian- and Alice K like this.