1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary schools open in June, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Education news' started by ridleyrumpus, May 10, 2020.

1. ridleyrumpus

ridleyrumpus Star commenter

Primary schools open in June, thoughts?

2. elderbreath

elderbreath New commenter

Only in England, the gvnmts of Wales, Scotland and NI care more about their teacher's and TA's wellbeing

fluffyowl, BetterNow, strawbs and 5 others like this.
  3. ridleyrumpus

Don't forget the support staff...

BetterNow and Alice K like this.
  4. Catgirl1964

Catgirl1964 Established commenter

If the conditions are right...more details tomorrow?

5. elderbreath

elderbreath New commenter

Thanks yes, edited ;)

6. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

I expect we'll find out the details in the media tomorrow. As usual. I do find myself wishing we didn't live in England as the other 3 nations seem to be handling this much better.

I'm just coming off maternity. If it's safe, I'm prepared to go back but I think it's fair to expect evidence. I would also like clarity. This whole situation has complicated my childcare arrangements and I need time to get things in place. I have organised as much as I can without a concrete date but until we have more clarity, there is nothing more I can do.

7. scotty_dog

scotty_dog New commenter

8. scotty_dog

scotty_dog New commenter

I don’t live in Scotland but trained there and have 3 siblings who work in NHS there and 6 relatives in education there - sadly NS does a great job of making herself look fab but the reality is quite different for those living there. They are not handling it better - try telling the GP who has v little PPE and advised to do no physical of examinations of patients for the time being that it’s being handled well. Loads of devolved powers but when it goes wrong it’s Westminster’s fault. BBC seem to give them such a soft ride on their inadequacies and bare faced lies...

Ezzie, Bungie and hhhh like this.
  9. dumpty

dumpty Star commenter

Sorry people it appears Boris did listen to me after all:p

I was of the mind primary school kids would indeed be going back but then with Sturgeon and Wales saying no, that he would not do so - and he started his speech saying it was important for the UK to stick together...which sounded like he was going to agree with them 100%.

I think it is something along the lines of reception, year 1 and 6 at first, then the other years.

I now wonder how much Sturgeon in particular with her endless leaking of meetings talks, the abuse of Boris and screaming how much SHE would NEVER allow Scotland's kids back yet, influenced him to accept the science that says primary school kids are fine to open (rather than the science that does not).

It does smell a bit of a UK PM making it very much known he is the big I am, and not the Scottish or Welsh leaders.

Was quite shocked he did this.

10. becky70

becky70 Occasional commenter

Inevitable but concerning. Reception and Year 1 don't do social distancing. However, they're the ones that need the most care so sending them back will let more parents get back to work.

11. scotty_dog

scotty_dog New commenter

12. scotty_dog

scotty_dog New commenter

It smells of Westminster getting fed up with Surgeon constantly revealing PMs and Cobras plans and making herself look like she’s the boss ( she’s not!) before they get a chance to say it themselves.
    Their “r” number is different as is their summer term ending in June rather than July for England so why not have different plans? It makes sense.

13. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

And parents (in many schools, Reception parents come in for them, especially for SEND children). 90% of parents (according to some online survey) don't feel safe sending them back-schools can't even stop nits (as the FB post goes).

14. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

WE assume you will receive PPE.

15. ridleyrumpus

And technicians and dinner ladies and .crossing attendants ...and even at a push SLT

Oooh I forgot the army of business managers, Social Media promoters, HR managers etc that are essential to the running of a school....

16. Robberto

Robberto Occasional commenter

Agree completely with R and Year 1 going back. Some of the Reception children would have missed half a year of their first year in education otherwise. It can be managed. How needs to be discussed but in our school it's certainly feasible.

The teachers in other years can share class teaching with the R, Yr1 and Yr 6 teachers. Empty classrooms etc, smaller classes, timetabled breaks and dinner times with cohorts staying together. But to do that the online learning for other years would be reduced. Any other thoughts?

DYNAMO67 likes this.
  17. nomad

nomad Star commenter

NAHT guidance to HTs regarding re-opening.

Our response to the Prime Minister's address this evening

I’m sure like me, many of you will have watched the Prime Minister’s address to the nation this evening.

You will have heard the Prime Minister indicating that the government believes it may be in a position to implement a phased re-opening of schools from 1 June, starting with pupils in reception, year one and year six. This is part of the government’s conditional plan which it says will remain under regular review.

During our webinar on Thursday evening 90% of those attending told us that they did not feel confident that it would be safe to open their schools in the coming weeks. 95% said that they did not think that their staff would feel confident.

I strongly suspect that tonight’s announcement will have done little to allay those concerns. If anything, I expect the announcement has only served to increase the anxieties of school leaders and teachers throughout the country.

Let’s be very clear, all of us want to get more pupils back into school as soon as it is safe to do so. Our members have devoted their lives and careers to the care and education of young people – they do not want to see classrooms empty for a day longer than they need to be.

However, as any school leader will tell you, the first priority has to be the safety of everyone in the school community.

The government has told us that their decisions are being led by the scientific evidence. However, to date there has been a lack of transparency when it comes to that evidence. We have said all along that we do not claim to be scientists, but we do think it is reasonable for the government to share and explain the evidence it is relying on, especially when it is basing such vital decisions on it. As of this evening, we are still waiting for that clear explanation.

We have also said that any plan to increase the number of pupils in schools has to be practicable and manageable. Our worry is that, as broadly outlined this evening, the government’s conditional plan may not be either of those things. In many cases it will be physically impossible to bring back the number of pupils being suggested and maintain any sense of social distancing, this is especially the case in infant and small schools.

At the moment this will be very raw for all of us and I know we will all have strong emotional reactions to what we have just heard.

In the coming days NAHT will be working tirelessly on behalf of its members. Our priorities will be to:

• gain a better understanding of the details of the government’s plan
    • seek a clearer picture of the scientific evidence the government has based this plan on
    • listen and understand the views of our members
    • get helpful and sound advice to our members as we understand more.
    Over the next 48 hours it is inevitable that parents will be getting in contact with your school with a range of questions. No doubt you will already be thinking about your own communication plan too. At this stage, our advice is simple: you should tell parents that, like them, you have only just seen the announcement and that at this stage you cannot answer all their questions. We advise that you explain that you are waiting to receive more information from government about what this means for your school. It is also worth reminding parents that in the short-term, nothing has changed and that you will provide further information in the coming days and weeks once you are able to do so.

I want to remind all our members that school leaders are still the people who know their schools best. If the national guidance (once known) cannot be safely applied in your school, you will retain the power along with your governing body or trust board to make decisions regarding the safety of pupils and staff based on your own individual risk assessments. This may ultimately mean that schools are not in a position to expand pupil numbers in the way the government has indicated on the 1 June.
    [My emplasis]

While all of us will have many questions this evening, I do want to finish by reminding ourselves that nothing will change immediately; we now have some time now to think carefully about our response.

Once again NAHT stands ready to support its members.

Best wishes

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Paul Whiteman
    NAHT general secretary
    info@naht.org.uk

18. sunshineneeded

sunshineneeded Star commenter

Thank you for posting that, @nomad. I guess we're all just waiting for updates from our SLTs now. Very glad that I don't have to make the decisions!

19. Patriciahh

Patriciahh New commenter

20. Patriciahh

Patriciahh New commenter

Really - what year do you teach? I teach Year 6 and although naturally scared am right behind the idea that they could come back to school - I was expecting Year 5 too. Surely it would make sense to have the pre exam years back - children who are old enough to understand social distancing. During my time in school with the key workers' children I have had the pleasure of working with reception and Year 1 - they are not able to stay away from each other - we have made it a game- we have been firm, we have explained carefully - used books/ puppets/ stories etc... still they run over and throw their arms around you and other children. Who on earth has suggested this??

misstjo, fluffyowl, zaccat1 and 5 others like this.