1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary Schools Experience for 2ndary PGCE?

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by merlin25, Apr 17, 2012.

1. merlin25

merlin25 New commenter

Hello
    I am starting a secondary PGCE in Modern Languages in September. My uni has sent me a letter about the Primary Schools Experience (compulsary). Do all secondary applicants have to do this? Or is it a mistake and I should be doing it in a secondary school? Anyone else got a letter like this?

2. merlin25

merlin25 New commenter

I think I have found the answer to my own question....turns out secondary teacher have to do their SEP in a primary school. If only they had jsut put a sentence like that in their letter!

3. PaulDG

PaulDG Occasional commenter

Everyone has to do it - you spend a week there, do your best to get involved and try to make some notes (don't ever criticise a teacher as you really don't know what you're talking about yet - just try to make notes about what the lesson is about.. how the teacher explains to the kids what the lesson is about and then, if you can, what the kids actually do - circulate a bit.. interract with the kids and get them to tell you about their work).
    When you go on to start your course "proper", as it were, it's likely you'll have an assignment to do in the first half term where you'll refer back to those notes and "reflect" on what you saw in primary and how it contrasts with what you're seeing in secondary.

4. merlin25

merlin25 New commenter

Thanks PaulDG. I was a TEFL teacher for a few years before, and I know too-well the dangers of criticising a "proper" teacher! Will be interesting to see how this compares with the observations Idid at a secondary school a few months ago.