1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary School SCITT due to start in September.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Danielh90, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Hi

I am a male who graduated from university in July 2011 with a History degree and is due to start a primary school SCITT course run by the University of Nottingham at a school in Shibden, near Halifax when the new term starts.

However, recently I have been having some serious doubts whether teaching, and primary school teaching is right for me at this particular time. I feel like I have made a mistake and would be better suited to teaching at either secondary or FE level. The year will cost 9,000+ and I feel as though that is far too big a financial commitment for something that I am unsure about. However I am scared about dropping out as I dont know what else I want to do, although I know that is not the reason I should do it. Furthermore, with the marker for teaching as saturated as it is at the moment, there is no guarantee I would get a job. Also, I dont drive and the journey to the school is a long one on the train everyday. Added to that, I cant afford to leave home and my grandad, who suffers from advanced dementia, luives with us, and I feel as though I would be under severe amounts of stress.

I need to make my decision quickly or else I will be committed to paying the fees and starting the course anyway.
    Sorry to rant, but I really need some advice, can anybody help?

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You sound like almost every other person about to start teacher training this September. Yes some are dead excited and can't wait, but almost everyone has a few weeks of serious doubts and panic about doing the wrong thing.

To be honest, you are better off doing this training and then looking for a post in secondary or FE if that is what you want to do. Your qualification will mean you can teach across the entire age range. You will be better able to convince a FE college you can teach GCSE history with a primary qualification, than the other way round.

Yes there are too many trained teachers for the posts available, but the majority do get jobs. Your long train journey will be great to do the reading for your course, mark books, cut out resources and all sorts.

Your doubts and worries are normal, but chances are you will love it and go on to have a fabulous and enjoyable career.

3. Thanks for your advice, but to be honest, of all the people I have spoken to, you are the first person to come back and tell me to do it. Most people have said that it is far too big a financial and personal commitment for a year that I will approach half-heartedly.

I am not even entirely convinced that teaching at any level is what I want to do, and I appreciate that if I do drop out this year and then re-apply to do a secondary or FE level PGCE that I have no guarantee of getting accepted. However, I feel as though I would be doing this course because I am unsure what I will do if I dont do it, which is not the right attitude. Teaching is a vocation and you need to be passionate in order to enjoy/excel at it.

I appreciate your positive slant on it, but I dont want to commit to doing a course for a year that I may be miserable in.
    Does anybody else have an opinion?

4. It sounds like you are talking yourself out of it and have already made up your mind. I think you may just be looking for reassurance on here. There may be someone out there who desperately wants a place on a training course and may just get the chance to do so if you don't take up yours.

I love my job and teaching is, for me, amazing. This next year for you will be a struggle and one of the hardest years of your life. So, if you feel you are not up to that at this point in your life, then perhaps you need to think seriously about what YOU want to do. Nothing we say on here can really help you personally.

5. I think you may possibly be right. I have been told in the past that I would make a good teacher, especially at primary school level, but I cannot say that I have ever professed a true passion for it, although I couldnt say that I am wholly passionate about any particular career. I feel as though I should maybe withdraw from this course, take a step back and really think about what it is that I do want to do. I dont mean to sounds negative about teaching as a profession, but I am wary about paying all this money for a course that I am not completely passionate about.

Any further advice?

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I did my PGCE because I wanted to stay at university for another year with my friends who were doing PhDs and I wasn't clever enough to do one of those. Right through the course I was looking at other careers and wondering what the heck I was going to do because I knew I didn't want to be a teacher. (Have you met teachers? Sad and weird and boring or what?!) I applied for a temporary post for my first job because I still wasn't sure I wanted to be a teacher.

Sixteen years later I'm still a teacher and still go into the classroom with a smile on my face. I can't imagine being anything else and wouldn't swap careers for all the tea in China!

You don't need to have this emotional certainty in your heart that this is your calling in life. Some people do, the rest of us just have a good time teaching.

Actually though, having said all this, I didn't have to pay for my course.

7. Thats the thing. My course is nearly completely school based, there are only a few weeks throughout the year that I will be in a university environment. I feel as though this course is better suited to graduates that are completely sure that they want to teach as opposed to those of us that are unsure. I will spend the year in a school with the staff, who are obviously extremely passionate about their jobs, as opposed to other unsure PGCE students. I just feel as though I have picked the wrong course from the wrong university at the wrong time, and I know there is nothing I can do about the decision I have made, but that is just how I feel.

I just think that all this money spent on something that I have a gut feeling about is a huge risk, but I am nervous about withdrawing because what else will I do. I am 22, which isnt that old but at the same time is the sort of age that people start to decide what they want to do.

I really do appreciate all of your advice and would like to hear more.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

You could withdraw from the course, or ask if you can defer it for a year. Then apply for posts as a TA to see what life is really like in a school. Lots and lots of people do this. We are losing 3 of our TAs this summer to go and start their teacher training.

If you love it, then nothing lost you can train next year and be much more certain about it. If you hate it, then buy something nice with the nine grand and look for another career!

When you get to my old age and talk to people who seem really settled and happy in their various careers, you realise most people fall into jobs by chance and then find they like them. Not that many of my friends (in all sorts of occupations) actually made a decisive choice to take that route.

9. I did a history degree and a SCITT course in Portsmouth, however I knew it was what I wanted to do. It is a job you need to be committed to, but I would say to you look at the core reason you don't want to do it. If it's the money then ignore slightly, I paid £2,500 with a £4,000 bursary so this wasn't any issue for me, however if I paid nine grand for anything I would have serious doubts, although looking back now I would freely pay £9k!
    If you pulled out 2 weeks in or so what amount of the fees would they expect?
    Also what made you want to go into the job in the first place, I'm guessing you've been into schools for around 2/3 weeks, what did you think?
    Also althoguh SCITTs aren't like PGCEs in many ways through facebook you do get to know a lot of your fellow SCITTees. I guess schools would differ, but many would be very supportive.
    You know yourself better than anyone and on here I guess most will be very positive towards the job.

Good luck with whatever you choose!

10. I am in pretty much the same position as you. I am due to start a PGCE English at Secondary level this September and I have felt for a long time that I have made the wrong decision and would like to teach Primary. I know you once you have QTS you can teach at any compulsory education age but it is much harder to get a job if you're not qualified for a specific age group. I have very little support from my family because they think I will give up which isn't the case - I want to apply again as soon as possible for next year because I do want to become a teacher. With such a large financial commitment at £9,000 however, I too feel like it could be a waste of money if my heart isn't in it. I think if I had the support from my family I would sacrifice my Secondary place for this year but at the moment I am in two minds because I don't want them to be disappointed in me. They say it is a risk and I may not get a place again but honestly if I were interviewed for Primary, admitting that I had made a mistake but realised my true passion because of it is surely better than saying "I did the PGCE I wasn't truly happy with because I didn't want the risk." If someone said to me that they would make the decision for me and insist I do Secondary this year I think I would be unhappy with that. Try and look at it from that perspective. I know it is normal to have doubts but I think you will know in your heart whether it is doubts you are having or you have really made the wrong choice. What I am trying to say is that you get out what you put in. If you're not 100% into it then you will not want to go into work every day and will dread it and possibly end up resenting it or even dropping out altogether. Of course there is the chance that you might change your mind completely. Maybe write a list of pros and cons - what is stopping you from phoning the University this second and withdrawing your place? I know the answer to that is because of the lack of support I have from my family about changing. Be completely sure in your decision what ever you decide and have no regrets :).

11. I got my place on a SCITT course 15 years ago after someone dropped out at a very late date.So if you are really sure I agree with an earlie rpost that someone else will benefit from your decision. Good Luck with whatever you choose.