1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary School Professionism

Discussion in 'Primary' started by cookey1, Jan 31, 2011.

1. I am searching for advice, if anyone could help me.

I am a primary teacher in my 2nd year of teaching and I have a small problem with some of the members of staff, including a HLTA. The members of staff are constantly down beat about achievements of my class in school and my contribution. Today I have been embarrased infront of my class as the HLTA has come into a working, silent classroom, handed me 4 sheets of paper that the children have been working on and in the loudest possible voice said "Don't put anything on those displays again, they've left greasy marks that won't ever come off!" then walked out.

I feel totally embarrased and upset with the lack of professionalism. I have been to my head teacher about this 'select' group of teachers who appear to be 'above the law' and get away with things like this and nothing has been done. I'm sure it won't be the last time.

Can anyone offer any advice about what to do?
    Thanks

2. I am searching for advice, if anyone could help me.

I am a primary teacher in my 2nd year of teaching and I have a small problem with some of the members of staff, including a HLTA. The members of staff are constantly down beat about achievements of my class in school and my contribution. Today I have been embarrased infront of my class as the HLTA has come into a working, silent classroom, handed me 4 sheets of paper that the children have been working on and in the loudest possible voice said "Don't put anything on those displays again, they've left greasy marks that won't ever come off!" then walked out.

I feel totally embarrased and upset with the lack of professionalism. I have been to my head teacher about this 'select' group of teachers who appear to be 'above the law' and get away with things like this and nothing has been done. I'm sure it won't be the last time.

Can anyone offer any advice about what to do?
    Thanks

3. inky

inky Lead commenter

How rude. I wouldn't go to the HT in this instance. I'd bring it up in the staffroom in front of the biggest possible audience and - ever so nicely - do it directly to the person concerned. In as loud a voice as it takes to make sure everybody hears, of course.
    And put those greasy pieces of paper up if the work is good.

4. What a cow.
    Personally I would find that the direct approach tricky unless I was really put out by her actions. If this is just the one example, I would maybe wait for another one before I went and had it out with her face to face but that is just me.

5. zannar

zannar New commenter

I would simply say that I am the teacher and so I decide what goes on display, not my TA.
    I would also say that conversations like this should not take place in front of the children and if she wishes to speak to you about these matters to do so at an appropriate time.

Then I would spike her cup of tea with something revolting like mustard.[​IMG]

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

As you have already involved the head then I would suggest continuing to do so. You may feel nothing has been done, but the head will not necessarily told you that she/he has had a stern word with the ring leaders. Every single time something happens keep telling the head. Eventually they will do something even if just to stop you hassling them!

While you keep doing that, look for another job in a school with nicer staff!

7. harsh-but-fair

harsh-but-fair Lead commenter

What is 'professionism'?

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Like professionalism, but without a spell checker!