1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary school policies?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mollys, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Hi all,
    I'm a Secondary HoD but need some quick wisdom from the Primary peeps.
    Is it possible that a Priamry school has a RULE that parents cannot drop their children off before 8.55am?
    Just curious - one of my hubby's staff is using this as an excuse for being consistently late each morning.
    Thanks in advance

2. Hi all,
    I'm a Secondary HoD but need some quick wisdom from the Primary peeps.
    Is it possible that a Priamry school has a RULE that parents cannot drop their children off before 8.55am?
    Just curious - one of my hubby's staff is using this as an excuse for being consistently late each morning.
    Thanks in advance

3. EcoLady

EcoLady New commenter

It's 8.40 at my children's school.
    8.55 does seem late but primaries do usually have a rule, because of the lack of playground supervision before school starts.

4. Both schools I have worked in have very specific rules about the times that children can be dropped off to school in the morning. As EcoLady has stated, there is lack of supervision before school starts so it would not be acceptable for parents to drop children off before the specified times.

5. but 8.55 does seem rather late - it's 8.30 at ours - can't you check with the school? and is there no breakfast club? no local childminder who does before-school?

6. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

8.55 does seem late, but then we don't know the age of the child.
    I have always worked in schools that allow children onto the site at either 15 or 20 minutes before the official start of the school day.

7. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Lead commenter

There are some schools which allow children into classes before school start times.........usually 5 mins before the shool starts. They dont have school playground line up.the children get on with some work or activity and usually they are overseen by the TA and teacher if available...........often they do catch up work or presentation or an activity.

8. Our doors open at 8.50. Parents must supervise children in playground until then. Childminders and after school club are there for working parents.

9. Milgod

Milgod Established commenter

What years does this apply to? Surely not Y6?

10. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

At my daughters' schools it is 8.45. That would make it pretty tight timing for me, since I have a 15 minute drive and my school starts at 8.55 - I leave the house at 7.30 and employ someone to look after my children while I'm not there - this includes taking them to school.
    That's what your husband's colleague should do to, to ensure that she gets to school on time (which incidentally for teachers is classed as 10 minutes before the children arrive).

11. I'm not sure about parental supervision for Y6 (I'm in Y1), but our doors only open at 8.50 - a bell rings to let us know to open up!

12. We have staff out on the playground from 8.35 and children can then be left ( although many parents stop and chat!) The doors are open at 8.45 and register closes at 8.55- although if it is raining children can come in from 8.35

13. Thanks so much to you all - I had an inkling it would be different for all schools but agree that 8.55 seems v late.
    I will pass the feedback on to hubby and leave it up to him if he wants to investigate further.
    Thanks again - you're a great bunch ;o))

14. upsadaisy

upsadaisy New commenter

We didn't used to collect the children until 8:55 from the playground, though now we don't collect and open our side doors from 8:45.

I don't really like the insinuation that you are making that this person is lying and your husband can 'investigate' this.

A more proactive stance would be to discuss with the person what options may be available on both sides.

15. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

If this person is a teacher, the starting time of their own child's school day should be irrelevant. The teacher is paid to be in work 10 minutes before the start of the school day. They need to make suitable arrangements so that they fulfil their contractual duties.

16. CG is spot on with this. You have to sort out childcare arrangements so that you get to your own job on time. I have to be in school even earlier than 10 mins before children twice a week as we have pre school meetings. I don't have children but colleagues that do sort their childcare accordingly. If I had children I can't imagine doing without pre school childcare unless they went to my school.
    Being consistently late for work isn't acceptable. Sorry if that sounds harsh.

17. Thank you everyone for your help.
    upsadaisy thanks for your opinion, obviously without knowing the details (which I wouldnt disclose on here) its difficult for you to understand the situation. I can assure you all avenues have been explored prior to this post. (NB its not a teacher)

18. It may be that the children are not allowed to go inside the building until 8.55am, but Primary schools usually have Breakfast clubs and/or playground supervision for about 15 minutes before the doors are opened. Ofsted are very keen on the safety and security of the children.
    Schools have to be very careful about supervision because of the laws of precedent. There is no law the covers this subject. It's a very grey area because schools are responsible for children as soon as they arrive on the premises, which includes the grounds.
    If there is an accident, or a serious incident, in law the school could be held responsible. That would set a precedent then any case following would be judged against that precedent. This situation is very difficult for schools because many are not able to prevent children coming in to the school grounds.
    I learned this as part of my headteacher legal training. We were advised that the best way to deal with it is to ensure that there was a paragraph in the school prospectus which gave parents details of the time at which the school was able to provide supervision. Many children in our area were sent to school early.
    I was able to get funding to start a Breakfast Club and parents contributed enough to cover the food. Two of my teaching assistants started work slightly early, to coincide with the time that Breakfast Club finished, so reasonable measures for supervision were made. All parents were made aware of the arrangements. These measures aimed to cover all the possibilities, so that should anything have to go to court there was a distinct possibility that the court would rule in the schools favour, although nothing is certain.
    Molly's husband should try and find out which school it is and check on their arrangements.
    Another point is that Headteachers have the flexibility of Directed Time in which they can specify the starting time for teachers. It is up to Molly's husband's colleague to make child care arrangements and to start work at the alloted time. She is being very unprofessional and it is entirely appropraite for her line manager to discuss this with her. If she worked in the commercial sector, she wouldn't be able to choose her starting hours.