1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

primary school musical?

Discussion in 'Music' started by helent71, Jan 4, 2016.

1. helent71

helent71 New commenter

Hi, can anyone recommend a musical we could do this year.
    It needs to be suitable for around 50-55 children from reception to year 6 ( we split the school in half and double cast), with main parts being taken by year's 5 and 6. It needs to be around an hour long, but longer is fine.

We did the out of the ark wind in the willows which was perfect. We wondered about their Alice, but I am not sure we have 2 girls confident enough for Alice.

We looked at Cinderella rockerfella but did not like it.

I have trawled through websites and am just overwhelmed and confused! Can anyone suggest anything they have done which works well please?

Thank you.

2. Sir Cumference

Sir Cumference Occasional commenter

I am the person who wrote Arthur's Knights and the Dragon, so I'm obviously a bit biased, but hope you might have a look at the details and listen to the song here
    http://www.onemoretime.biz/arthurs-knights-musical-play.htm
    I'll e-mail you a script to look at if you are interested (no charge!) It meets all your criteria as listed.

3. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Roald Dahl revolting rhymes have been turned into musicals. The children loved them in my previous school.

4. cate50

cate50 New commenter

Joseph and the amazing Technicolour Dreamcoat? Cinderella Rockerfella?

C

5. cate50

cate50 New commenter

Just read you post properly sorry! Scrap Cinderella!!

6. helent71

helent71 New commenter

Thanks for the suggestions. We have gone with Olivia!...early rehearsals suggest it will go well!!

7. FCarpenter

FCarpenter New commenter

My 'A Holiday And A Half!' musical still gets great reviews and is fun to perform. You can hear the music and read script samples here. Thanks. Fran

8. schmedz

schmedz Occasional commenter

Check out Starshine musicals - Scheherazade and The Button Box quite good for mixed age cast. www.starshine.co.uk

9. TreesK

TreesK New commenter

10. scbdelaval

scbdelaval New commenter

Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes are great plays with excellent songs and lots of chorus songs and dancing and solo parts (Snow White particularly good) but they are relatively short - I think Snow White is around 40-45 mins. I have heard of some schools doing two of them, one each side of an interval.

11. epmusicmail

epmusicmail New commenter

Anyone looking for a primary school musical, check out www.epmusic.com.au for modern, funny and affordable musicals with a message that children can relate to.