1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary School Music Concert

Discussion in 'Music' started by Gem89, Mar 16, 2017.

1. Gem89

Gem89 New commenter

Hi,

I'm planning my first school music concert and would like some advice on how to set up and run the event. I have a choir and some children who are learning the piano - the concert will most likely last between 30 - 45 minutes. The choir have 6 songs prepared to sing so I am thinking of getting children who play the piano to perform in between some of the choir songs.

Any advice on how to make the event a success would be much appreciated!

2. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

Yes- mix up the items to get variety. Could the pianists accompany the choir? Make sure parents know date/ time well in advance. Get the children to design a programme.Are you having an interval with refreshments? Yoh will need someone to man the urns and set out the biscuits. If woukd be nice to have a record of your first concert- is there a member of staff/parent who would record it for you? Get the children in before the concert starts so you have time to warm them up properly.Make sure you have a prearranged meeting place for the parents to collect the performers after the event. Good luck - and enjoy it.

3. sparklepig2002

If you are using the computer for backing tracks, make sure it all works beforehand.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  4. sparklepig2002

5. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

Make sure your first and last items are the strongest ones - I would make these two of your choir's songs, if I were you.
    At my concerts, the children lead in (a minute or so before the concert starts) straight to their starting places and the concert begins pretty immediately.
    Make sure the solo performers know how to take a bow when the audience applauds - it's polite concert behaviour.
    You can include a list of the pupils in the choir in the programme and a photo of them, if you wish.
    In my concert programmes I put the item (Choir/Piano Solo etc.) then the title of the piece, then the composer's name. If there's a solo performer I put their name, too.
    Make sure the children know what to do at the end of the concert - are they going to lead out?
    Think about the pupils' presentation and whether you want them to look smart and/or uniform.
    If the programme is 30-40 minutes' long, I would have the complete concert and then have the refreshments afterwards. Will there be refreshments for the participants? A treat for those who took part is both a thank you and an incentive.
    Good luck!

bevriv likes this.
  6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Do you just intend to include choir and piano? You may well find you have other musical talent you can tap into if you ask around, we have children who study a wide range of musical instruments both at school and at home ( although some judicious auditioning is sometimes required!)

ViolaClef likes this.
  7. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Make sure someone takes pictures for the website and a display - anything that creates a good profile for the choir, you want it to be a desirable thing to do.

Would any of the choir parents make cakes for the refreshments and could you have a raffle?

ViolaClef likes this.
  8. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

@Gem89 Have our ideas been helpful?

9. notable

notable New commenter

I agree with previous commenters. Make sure you rehearse the stage presentation skills as much as the actual songs. How will they walk on and off? Who stands next to whom? Provide a chart for easy reference. I also find it very motivational for students if I post up a reminder of how many practices we have left before "showtime". Younger children sometimes don't have a sense of how quickly an event is approaching. I also post up a running order in advance and post a copy "backstage on the day". Opening and closing with a strong song is good. As is mixing up the keyboard players to provide variety for your audience.

10. Gem89

Gem89 New commenter

Hi everyone,

Thanks so much for your comments, they were really helpful! The concert was a success and the choir is continuing to grow.

Apologies it has taken me so long to reply to the thread, it took me a long while to find your replies. I was very new to the TES community section last year.

I really appreciate your help.

We are holding our next concert in a few weeks which everybody is really looking forward to.

sparklepig2002 likes this.
  11. sparklepig2002

Well done. I'm glad it went well. And thank you for letting us know how it went .Good luck with the next one.:D