1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary School Male Teacher

Discussion in 'Primary' started by asifashraf7, Jun 19, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I currently work a few days a week as a supply teacher in a primary school. I usually wear a cardigan, shirt, tie and trousers. I get very hot though and i bought some polo t shirts last week. They are black, white and grey and have no designs or logo on them.

Would it be ok for me to wear a polo t shirt as part of my everyday work clothes? I wouldn't be wearing a jumper or caridgan over the top of them. I'm an NQT, so i'm sorry if this comes acros as a stupid questions. I just want to make sure!

2. Hi,
    I currently work a few days a week as a supply teacher in a primary school. I usually wear a cardigan, shirt, tie and trousers. I get very hot though and i bought some polo t shirts last week. They are black, white and grey and have no designs or logo on them.

Would it be ok for me to wear a polo t shirt as part of my everyday work clothes? I wouldn't be wearing a jumper or caridgan over the top of them. I'm an NQT, so i'm sorry if this comes acros as a stupid questions. I just want to make sure!

3. It depends on the school, I guess. Luckily, our school is pretty relaxed about what we wear so many of the staff wear jeans, and I wear polo shirts almost on a daily basis.
    My advice would be to see what the other teachers are wearing at that school and take it from there...

4. thehawk

thehawk Occasional commenter

My school's dress code is that men have to wear a shirt and tie (doesn't mention any other clothes). Which is fair enough as the children also have to wear a shirt and tie. Only exception is on very hot days pupils and male teachers can remove their ties.

5. I think a smart polo shirt with trousers is quite acceptable - if I was the head it would be ok ;-)
    Saw one male teacher from a school wearing cargo shorts, check shirt and flip flops and apparently that was acceptable in school!! I was shocked TBH......as long as you look clean and smart I do not think any school would have a problem if you were on a days supply there ----- if its more long term just ask the question!

6. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

I'd suggest that a polo shirt is infinitely more acceptable than a cardigan....[​IMG]

7. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Problem with being a supply teacher is that you don't know the standards of the school until you arrive. It is always better to be too smart than too casual.

You would stand out a mile in my school if you turned up in a polo shirt. And to be honest a proper shirt and a tie (minus the cardigan!) would be just as cool as a polo shirt.

8. This is an interesting debate.
    In most schools Men are expected to dress quite formally - whilst in the same school Women can wear t shirts, loose skirts /trousers and simple footwear.
    I think casual smart is the happy medium.
    I am fortunate to work in a large primary that has 9 men on the staff of 14 teachers.All of us wear smart casual. The headteacher - a woman - concentrates on results and progress rather than what we wear.
    it is 2011 - not 1911!
    As a year 1 male teacher - a tie and white shirt are unthinkable! i shudder at the daily washing!
    However i have seen a female reception teacher with long nail extensions and very high heel shoes - and i can't image how she could function in a EYFS class. ( personal opinion)

9. I never wear a tie! It cannot be in the school dress code that males have to wear one. It is against sexual equality at work act.
    Same for open toed shoes. I wore flip flops one day in the summer - think it was summer fair or sports day.
    I was told off by deputy head who was wearing sandals! I pointed out that she was being sexist asking me to wear trousers and shoes when females were allowed to wear shorts and sandals.
    I was never asked again!

10. nick909

nick909 Lead commenter

An open necked shirt is acceptable for men in most schools and a cotton shirt will probably be cooler than a polo shirt, which often have a percentage of polyester in them. A short sleeved shirt would be cooler still (although I don't like short sleeved shirts, but that's simply my preference).
    Wear a tie and ask if you're okay to take it off if it gets too hot.
    My personal preference is for a reasonably formal look for teachers, as it makes for a clear distinction between adults and children, but I'm not a fan of ties, so choose not to wear one, and I would be uncomfortable with a suit jacket on (although I feel that SMT should wear suits most of the time).
    Smart trousers, an open necked shirt and shoes are sufficient for men, in my opinion - (the bonus of this for me is that I don't need to consider what to wear every day!). I appreciate that it's different for women, but I do think that smart trousers/a skirt and a shirt/jumper/blouse of some kind ought to be worn by female staff as well. Some of the TAs in particular take the pee in our school, looking like they're dressed for a day's shopping or out clubbing, or at the other extreme, lounging around the house.

11. Thanks for your replies. I have asked a few teachers at the school if they thought it would be ok for me to wear a polo shirt and they said it was fine. There is only one other male in the school who wears a jumper over his shirt. I'll just wear the polo shirt tommorow and if there are no problems then i suppose it's ok!