1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary school job

Discussion in 'Primary' started by debbiefeludu, Apr 22, 2019.

1. debbiefeludu

debbiefeludu New commenter

As a qualified teacher from Nigeria looking for an international school job outside Nigeria, Do you think I stand a chance of getting one?
    I found some jobs on Tes and have applied but haven't got a feedback from them.

2. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Depends on your experience and skills.
    Can you teach English to English speaking children?
    Can you teach the English curriculum with English methodology, which is probably very different to what you are used to.

The less good city schools are desperate, but would you want to teach in a terrible school in a very deprived area where education is valued and teachers are sometimes seen as the enemy? Would you be able to?

Schools in very rural areas can also find it hard to recruit. Would you want to live in a remote area where everyone knows your name and your business? Where, even in this day and age, you might encounter curiosity and wariness due to your colour and accent? I don't mean unkind racism as such, but there are rural areas where any non-white British person is such a rarity, people don't know what to do.

Yes, of course as an experienced teacher, you have a chance. But you'll need to pick your school carefully and have an fantastic application.

3. Flanks

Flanks Established commenter

I would recommend looking on the international schools forum.