1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary School Experience

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by Leningrad, May 17, 2011.

1. I wasn't sure if I should put this here or in the "prospectives" forum, but here's my question:

What's the best way to arrange a period of observation in a Primary School? I need to do one before starting my Secondary PGCE at the IoE in September. Part of the trouble is that I work as a Secondary TA already, and it's unlikely that my school will let me have a week off, so I'll have to do the week's experience between 5-9th Sept, the week before I'm due to begin my course.
    A work colleague has a contact in a local school, and I've written a letter to the Head there, but so far it's come to nothing. I've thought about trying the Primary School next door to my current school as the two heads work together on some things, and potentially my husband's old school, which is just down the road. But what's the best way to approach schools? Write a letter and follow up with a phone call? Is it possible to call by and leave a message in reception?
    Any help greatly appreciated!

2. Phone a few and ask! Sounds like you have a few good contacts to start off with. Not sure how many will love the idea of having someone in for the first week of the school year though... Maybe your current school could release you for one day a week?