1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary school choral music

Discussion in 'Music' started by cottage_pie, Nov 13, 2010.

1. Hi. I'm looking for some challenging songs that the kids can really get their teeth into, if that makes sense. I've got about 50 children (pretty much all juniors) and they're all really enthusiastic about singing. They can sing in harmony (thirds mainly, although we're having a go at 'Can You Hear Me' at the moment and we have done some Rutter songs in the past) and they pick things up really quickly. However, we've done quite a few pop type songs and I'd like to try and get away from that this year if I can, because I think they've picked up a few bad habits. Some of that is my fault - I'm a confident musician, but not a singer in the trained sense of the word.

I've already started working on trying to adapt the sound that they make (which was helped slightly when the last lot of year 6s left anyway - they were confident but had slightly harsh 'stage school' type voices) and I'd like to have a go at more songs that have been specifically written for choirs, so I wondered if anyone has any recommendations. Perhaps some songs where they're not just singing in harmony at the same time, but a bit more counterpoint between the parts? And I'd like to get them to have a go at some African songs too at some point. If it helps, I already have one of the Voiceworks books (can't recall offhand which one though).

Thanks very much in advance.

2. Hi. I'm looking for some challenging songs that the kids can really get their teeth into, if that makes sense. I've got about 50 children (pretty much all juniors) and they're all really enthusiastic about singing. They can sing in harmony (thirds mainly, although we're having a go at 'Can You Hear Me' at the moment and we have done some Rutter songs in the past) and they pick things up really quickly. However, we've done quite a few pop type songs and I'd like to try and get away from that this year if I can, because I think they've picked up a few bad habits. Some of that is my fault - I'm a confident musician, but not a singer in the trained sense of the word.

I've already started working on trying to adapt the sound that they make (which was helped slightly when the last lot of year 6s left anyway - they were confident but had slightly harsh 'stage school' type voices) and I'd like to have a go at more songs that have been specifically written for choirs, so I wondered if anyone has any recommendations. Perhaps some songs where they're not just singing in harmony at the same time, but a bit more counterpoint between the parts? And I'd like to get them to have a go at some African songs too at some point. If it helps, I already have one of the Voiceworks books (can't recall offhand which one though).

Thanks very much in advance.

3. brookey1970

brookey1970 New commenter

4. Hi. Thanks very much for these links - I appreciate it. Good job payday is coming up!

5. Doitforfree

Doitforfree Senior commenter

Michael Hurd's jazz canatas (Jonah-man jazz, Swingin' Samson etc) are really good. The music is good quality but appeals to children. It's mainly unison but with odd bits of harmony).And they're pretty cheap too. £5 for a whole book.

6. try choral.li. All of the pieces have been performed in festivals here in the states and as an elementary choral director, I believe that you will find the musical elements you are seeking in the works. Thank You.