1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary School Assemblies

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by forestje, Aug 4, 2011.

1. forestje

forestje New commenter

Could anyone please tell me what the official guidelines are for religious content during school assemblies, in a non denominational school?

2. forestje

forestje New commenter

Could anyone please tell me what the official guidelines are for religious content during school assemblies, in a non denominational school?

3. durgamata

durgamata Occasional commenter

http://www.education.gov.uk/aboutdfe/foi/disclosuresaboutchildrenyoungpeoplefamilies/a00289/school-assemblies

The following is from the DofE website but there are lots of sites with interesting and relevant info.

School assemblies

Freedom of Information disclosure

Date requested:18 November 2009

Updated:09 February 2011

Request

Is it law for schools to begin the school day with an assembly of a predominantly Christian character and if so, what steps are taken, including guidelines to schools and to Ofsted, to ensure that the law is complied with?

Also have any guidelines or instructions been issued which would have the effect of reducing compliance with the law?

Release
    Since the 1944 Education Act, re-enacted in all subsequent Education Acts, there has been a statutory requirement that all maintained schools must provide a daily act of collective worship for all registered pupils, unless they have been withdrawn by their parents.

The Education Act 1988 removed the requirement for this to take place at the start of the school day. Collective Worship can now take place any time of the school day.

Collective Worship must be wholly or mainly of a broadly Christian character. However, if this is inappropriate for some or all pupils, the head teacher can apply to the Local Education Authority for a determination to have this requirement lifted.

All schools and LEAs have been issued with copies of the DfES guidance circular 1/94 Religious Education and Collective Worship, which sets out the statutory requirements for religious education in schools. This guidance was issued in 1994, and no further guidance has been issued.

It is part of the current Ofsted framework to report on schools compliance with the statutory requirements around the curriculum. Full details, including action taken where schools are not compliant, are available from Ofsted who can be contacted at: Alexandra House, 33 Kingsway, London, WC2B 6SE

I will put up some of the info I have found about this as a new resource. Other references to include would be welcome if anyone has any knowledge or experience of good ways to use this law - to strengthen the spiritual ethos of the school and nurture the students spiritually - including athiest ones - without upsetting anyone!!!

I did supply in a London Primary some years ago - with a very varied intake. they had a very nurturing Assembly, all about community, different classes took turns to lead the 'story' aspect and they finished by lighting a candle and inviting everyone to either think about the story, pray or meditate, according to their own personal choice. It was really powerful and meaningful event each day. I wish I had photos to show how engaged even the youngest children were in that silent few minutes at the end.

In a Birmingham school with a 99% Muslim intake the music played as children went in and out of the Assembly (which meant when many of the children were sitting quietly while others came in or out) was by the Birmingham Muslim group Shaam. It is lovely, great for RE lessons on Islam too. My favourite track is Compassion like the rain.