1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary QTS - Wanting to Try Secondary

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by corinne_dinning, May 13, 2020.

1. Hello,

I'm currently completing my QTS in Primary and due to gain my QTS status in July. I'm interested in teaching Maths in secondary as well but don't have my maths A-Level. I have a friend conducting her PGCE with Maths SKE next year and was wondering if it is possible to do a maths SKE but not alongside ITT as I've already done my ITT. It would basically just make sure I'm up to scratch for teaching maths at secondary level.

Any help, advice or recommendations would be very much appreciated.

Thanks in advance
    Corinne

2. rolls

rolls Occasional commenter

You would not be able to get funding. Maybe you could if you pay for it yourself but they might want you to have A level maths before they accept you. Taking A level in Maths would be the place to start or if you are teaching in primary there are lots of Maths training courses available to primary teachers at the moment. Hone your skills in the age group you are qualified to teach before moving up to secondary.