1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary progression

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by missaks, Nov 22, 2019.

1. missaks

missaks New commenter

Hello I am new to the primary sector having worked in secondary for over 15 years, I just wondered if anyone could just provide info on how you rise up thr ranks in primary schools?
    What do you need to become a deputy for example? Or Head of Lower School? Does it matter about subjects you teach? Not for me at the moment but just thinking where my future career might head! Thanks

2. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

Generally it comes down to being in the right place at the right time and grabbing any opportunities to take on leadership/responsibilities. In most primary schools all teachers will be responsible for one area of the curriculum or another (several in smaller schools). These roles are often for no additional money unless you lead English or maths (and not always then either). As primary teachers usually teach all subjects it would be useful to have an area of expertise which might be useful to others.
    Leadership roles which come with a TLR are rarely advertised externally but Assistant/deputy head roles are advertised but you would need relevant experience before applying.
    Far fewer leadership roles that come with additional pay generally though than you would find in secondary.

3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

This! Along with sucking up to the right people.

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

Oi, that's rude:p

I started as an NQT in a small school, after a while I was promoted to Senior Teacher, when I started looking at posts elsewhere, I was then promoted to Assistant Head ( which was a little ridiculous when there were only 4 teachers!) before leaving-after 12 years in one school-to take up a post as Head of School. I got the HOS post because, although I had spent all my time in one small school, this had given me the opportunity to teach every year group, lead subjects from Maths, RE, PE, History, Geography and English ( most at the same time!) lead on whole school initiatives and generally stick my nose in everything!
    Some people go the "large school" route and become Phase leader/assistant head/deputy and some stick to the small school route of a general dogsbody!

5. caterpillartobutterfly

Apologies.
    I know that many, many people get promotions by being good at their job and genuinely decent people.

Just feeling a bit disillusioned about it all today though.

6. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset. I know that I was lucky and it probably was the right place at the right time.
    Fingers crossed, your right time will come soon!

7. caterpillartobutterfly

You didn't. And I certainly didn't mean to be offensive.

CarrieV likes this.
  8. carriecat10

carriecat10 Established commenter Community helper

[QUOTE = this had given me the opportunity to teach every year group, lead subjects from Maths, RE, PE, History, Geography and English ( most at the same time!) lead on whole school initiatives and generally stick my nose in everything[/QUOTE]

Having this breadth of experience in primary is really important if you are to provide support and advice across the primary age range.