1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary Photography club!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by meeow99, Mar 13, 2011.

1. I work in a primary school and am interested in starting off an after-school photography club. Does anyone have any experinece of running such a club, and could offer any tips on what worked/didn't for them, or any "need-to-know" stuff. I'm quite a keen amateur photographer myself, and just want to extend that enthusiasm to some of the children, and pass on some skills. Was thinking of a mixture of taking shots, and then a little image manipulation each lesson, if time allows. Had in mind to try and do some portraits of some description (maybe as a magazine or CD cover type of portait?), some close up, and making use of our school grounds. We will only have compacts, nothing too fancy!! but want to make the most of what we have. Any suggestions please!

2. I work in a primary school and am interested in starting off an after-school photography club. Does anyone have any experinece of running such a club, and could offer any tips on what worked/didn't for them, or any "need-to-know" stuff. I'm quite a keen amateur photographer myself, and just want to extend that enthusiasm to some of the children, and pass on some skills. Was thinking of a mixture of taking shots, and then a little image manipulation each lesson, if time allows. Had in mind to try and do some portraits of some description (maybe as a magazine or CD cover type of portait?), some close up, and making use of our school grounds. We will only have compacts, nothing too fancy!! but want to make the most of what we have. Any suggestions please!

3. Ran a club for a while and carry out an annual day long workshop. We would have a theme each week (e.g looking at objects from unusual angles, candid shots - stressing the need to check with subjects beforehand - architectural, seeking out lines, the most interesting framing within the shot, emotions, texture etc ). Each week they would save their favourite 3 images to promote editorial considerations/save memory space and would make presentations using web-based sites each term. it was v. pop but was a bit of a hassle as I had to borrow cameras from other classes and then download quickly/ return as it was held at lunchtime and foundation stage always wanted them back sharpish. The annual workshop is always based on super macro photography and produces some stunning work.