1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary PGCE - where is best to do it?

Discussion in 'Trainee and student teachers' started by sasm202, Aug 12, 2011.

1. I'm planning on applying to do a PGCE in Primary next year, so I'm trying to decide where to apply so I can get everything in as soon as applications open. I did apply last year but got rejected because I only have a 2.2 and the unis I applied to wanted a 2.1 (I have experience of teaching abroad and thought this would make up for my low degree grade). I'm going to be realistic this time round and apply to unis that ask for a 2.2. So far I've been looking at Brighton, Oxford Brookes, Bath Spa, Kingston, East Anglia, Canterbury and Greenwich. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions of any of these or of any others that I should consider?
    Cheers!
    Steph

2. I'm planning on applying to do a PGCE in Primary next year, so I'm trying to decide where to apply so I can get everything in as soon as applications open. I did apply last year but got rejected because I only have a 2.2 and the unis I applied to wanted a 2.1 (I have experience of teaching abroad and thought this would make up for my low degree grade). I'm going to be realistic this time round and apply to unis that ask for a 2.2. So far I've been looking at Brighton, Oxford Brookes, Bath Spa, Kingston, East Anglia, Canterbury and Greenwich. I was wondering if anyone had any opinions of any of these or of any others that I should consider?
    Cheers!
    Steph

3. No idea but you might need to be realistic. The unis may say they require the minimum of a 2.2 bit competition for places had been fierce in recent years, so if they have similar types of candidates, whi may all have experience in schools, you may find they go for the cnadidates with the higher degree level, if it is the only way they can split people and make a decision.
    Sorry if this sounds harsh. You could also look at GTP, the requirements for that are usually 2.2 because they look for people with experience or relevant experience in another field as career changers. Look at all the options maybe?

4. Just on reading that last post I thought I should reply, you can get in to a good primary PGCE with a 2:2, I did, and I only had the bare minimum experience to boot. So it most certainly can be done, just make sure you apply early and that you prepare properly for the interview. I have a friend who did hers in Oxford Brookes and loved it, I know that when i was applying I chose from the providers with the most places as I felt that these would be the ones that would be slightly less competitive. Going in with a 2:2 can be a disadvantage, but most providers worth their salt will recognise that a 2:2 wont make you less of a teacher.

5. Out of the places/courses that you mention, I know that Canterbury Christ Church has a very good reputation. They were awarded outstanding by Ofsted. Good luck with wherever you decide to apply to! : )

6. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

One consideration you need to make is where you plan to end up teaching. More and more NQTs start induction close to their ITT college and can gain a post as a direct result of teaching practice. Teaching in S or W London is different from rural Norfolk. The other consideration you do need to make is the number of places available on the courses. Some universities have relatively large primary numbers while in other places they have been reducing.

7. I only got a 2:2 and applied this year for a secondary PGCE at Greenwich, IoE, Middlesex, and Oxford Brookes.
    I got interviews at all 4 places (with little-no experience to start with), I am not sure if this is usual!

I have now got a place at Oxford Brookes (and also got a place at Middlesex from their reserve list!). Oxford Brookes is very well respected for teacher training - although I would say that ;). I didn't like the courses/feel of Greenwich or IoE (even though that's not one of your choices), but Middlesex was quite nice - although I think some of their schools might be quite rough.

I think Kingston also has a good reputation :) Not sure about the others though so will refrain from commenting!

8. Just wanted to add that I start Primary PGCE in Septmber and I also have a 2:2 and the bare minimum experience, so it definately can be done! Just reflect on your experience constantly through application and interview, it's mainly what they're looking for! x

9. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I did my PGCE (Primary) at Oxford Brookes last year and can definitely recommend it. Ofsted have graded its course as outstanding, and it is well regarded by schools in the local area - good for when you're applying for jobs. Oxford Brookes will look at you as a whole when considering your application, rather than simply rejecting you for not ticking box X. Do you have plenty of experience in UK schools as well as abroad? Brookes will be interested in what you've learned from your experiences abroad (some unis are only interested in the UK stuff) but will want you to show how that knowledge is relevant to teaching in the UK, too.