1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary PGCE University of Cumbria, Lancaster - Sept 2011

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by cat_mary24, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Hi, has anyone been offered a place for the Primary PGCE starting in September 2011 at the Lancaster campus?

2. rapink

rapink New commenter

Yes, I have. Had interview Wednesday.Doing Lower Primary.

3. I know everyone says this but just be yourself. The interviewer asked me just to chat about myself and where I'm from to calm me down and make me feel more at ease. Also in the group task I would suggest not being too bossy!
    Good luck and let me know how it goes! :)
    Does anyone know if there is a facebook group for people starting the PGCE in September?

4. Hey, yeah i've just been offered a place too on the lower primary. I was wondering if theres anyone else from the clitheroe area who might wanna car share? x

5. jfanna

jfanna New commenter

Hi Cat_Mary,
    Thank you for replying. :) Sounds like your interview went well. Have you been offered a place? Hope so!
    I hate it when people ask you to tell them about yourself, as I don't know whether they want me to start boasting abouthow suited I am to the course, orwhether I'm supposed to give them a life history! Hehe!
    Oh well, I'll let you know how I get on - it's this Wed 26th... I'm applying for the distributed learning course though - are you applying for the full time course?
    Take care,
    J
    :)

6. rapink

rapink New commenter

Hi, I was also thinking about car sharing- if anyone is from Preston? I'm at Fulwood nr Junction 32.
    Hoping there may be an electronic university notice board for such ads?
    When interviewer asked me to tell him about myself I discussed jobs I'd done etc. As above I'd second in group interview get your points across be also be prepared to listen. Good luck.

7. jfanna

jfanna New commenter

Hi Rachaelfo,
    Thanks for the advice about how to answer the 'tell me about yourself question'!

Sorry I can't help with travel share, but it's a really good idea. Hopefully when you meet the other course participants you'll find someone who can help...
    I'm guessing that if you're looking into travel arrangements, you've been offered a place? Congrats if you have!
    Thanks again,
    J.
    :)

8. Those who havehad an interview at Cumbria, did the University telephone you to advise you of the outcome? and, how lond did you have to wait for their decision? Thanks so much.

9. jfanna

jfanna New commenter

Hi - I've got good news! I had an interview for the distributed learning primary pgce course at Cumbria on 26th Jan and on 30th Jan I received an email from GTTR telling me I'd been offered a place! Quick or what! I don't know if they're as quick in making their decisions with the other courses they offer though... Good luck to everyone. :)

10. rapink

rapink New commenter

Well done! I found out following evening that I had been offered a place. The university emailed me first then few hours later GTTR informed me.

11. Me too! I found out Friday evening. I guess I will get to meet you in September. Well done!

12. Hi Cat_Mary
    I havent been offered a place yet I have my interview on monday eeek!
    Just wondering how you found the interview?
    On the information sheet it says the day involves;
    essay writting, maths paper, presentation, interview and school
    observation (seems pretty intense!) Most people who I have spoken to about previous pgce interviews have said
    that they didn't have to do anything like this, which is making me slightly worried. Seems like they have changed the interview process from previous years.
    Thanks
    Lauren

13. Hi. I had my interview on the 26th for the Primary PGCE Distributed Learning Programme and found out I had been offered a place the following Monday - well pleased! Immediatley accepted the offer, of course. Can't wait to get started!!! Congratulations to everyone else offered a place on the course and will see you in September!

14. Hi Vickster,
    I had my interview for the distributed learning PGCE today and I can promise you there is nothing to be nervous about!
    There were 30 odd candidates at the interview and we were split into small groups of 6 or so candidates. All groups do their group discussion at the same time with a tutor observing you. Then, one candidate from each group is interviewed at once so that you are not on your own in the room but cannot be overheard by other candidates- it felt quite relaxed and the interviewers are honestly very, very nice!
    Use the resources that Cumbria have sent you to plan for your interview, they are there to help you.
    Good luck!

15. Hi,
    I was wondering if you can help me. I have applied for the Primary PGCE Distributed Learning Programme. I'm a little confused is it all independent learning?? I just thought it was over a year and a half and that you did more work at home than other courses at other Universities. Is it still the same qualification as all the other Primary PGCEs. My interview is on the 2nd of March at Lancaster and I don't really want to go to it not really knowing what i'm talking about. I've had an interview at Liverpool Hope University already and got a reserve place but I am hoping to come University of Cumbria I went today to visit and it looks lovely there. Any help would be brilliant!!
    Thanks
    Hayley

16. Hi
    It is predominantly an independent learning course so you will be expected to study at home and keep in touch with the Uni via email/forums. You have to attend the Uni for lectures for 2 weeks at the start of the course and then approx 1 day per term thereafter. The course takes around 19 months to complete but is still classed as full time and you will still achieve QTS.
    Don't worry about all this now though as the course leader will give a presentation at the start of your interview day. It is really useful and will answer all of your questions.

Good luck!

17. Thank you! I think I would enjoy that and it would also be more beneficial as I live quite far away anyway! As long as I get the QTS I would do anything, always wanted to be a teacher.
    Thank You
    xx

18. No probs! I have just found out that I have been offered a place on the course - I am over the moon!
    xx

19. Hi Hayley,
    I had my interview the same day as you for general primary. I also haven't heard yet. It is horrible waiting though! How long did it take other people to get a reply?
    Thanks

Sarah

20. I've still not heard back yet! Have you?? I looked at some of the past comments and I don't think any of theres took this long. Somebody said they heard back that night!! My fingers are crossed for both of us anyway i'm just hoping it's taking longer as they did both on the same day.
    Hayley