1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary PGCE interview

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Sarah899, Feb 5, 2011.

1. I have an interview at the start of next week, and part of the interview is a group discussion consisting of 6 questions. I have the 6 questions, but at the interview we are given one to lead for 3-4 minutes. I have in-depth answers for each question, but can not remember each answer very good. I am worried that when it comes to the interview I will totally forget what I am saying. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? I don't want to get to the interview and have to try and make something up because I forget what I had originally.

Thank you

2. I have an interview at the start of next week, and part of the interview is a group discussion consisting of 6 questions. I have the 6 questions, but at the interview we are given one to lead for 3-4 minutes. I have in-depth answers for each question, but can not remember each answer very good. I am worried that when it comes to the interview I will totally forget what I am saying. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should do? I don't want to get to the interview and have to try and make something up because I forget what I had originally.

Thank you

3. Just make sure that you know the key points for each question, don't try and remember entire stock answers as that's not what's expected of you, scrap the full answers and make yourself some little revision style cards or a mini mind-map of the relevant issues for each question, a conversation/discussion should flow naturally and if you try to remember stock answers you will panic if the others go 'off track' in comparison to your pre-prepared answers.
    Even when it comes to your turn to lead the discussion it doesn't mean you have to talk about that issue for 3-4 minutes, they will be looking for you to make relevant points and gain other peoples opinions and consider them.
    Remember it is a group discussion so they will be looking at the way you interact with the group (colleagues) probably more so than the actual answers you give. Make sure that you consider other peoples views, and give your own opinion even if it is conflicting. Just take it as a chat about those issues and do what you would do normally, if someone makes a good point say "That's really interesting, why do you think that?" and if you say something yourself add at the end "And what does everyone else think?". Make sure that the discussion is relevant to the questions, it will not do anyone any favours if people go off on a tangent.
    Don't worry, it will be a lot less stressful on the day than it sounds!

4. Thank you Stacey that is a great help.

I have key points for each question now so just focusing on making sure I know those. Do you think it would look bad to take in the key points on a little piece of card into the group discussion? Just wondered if it would look like I had prepared well, or would it just look like I couldn't do it.

5. I personally wouldn't take cards in, but I'm not sure what the etiquette is!

If you have read around the issues you probably know more than you think, and it's important that you have formed your own opinions. Deep breaths and it will be fine!!!