1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary PGCE interview-York St John 2010!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by CaseyPartington, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Yeah I suppose, I don't know, I guess it depends on how many places are still available. Has anybody got an interview this Thursday?

2. quietlydetermined

quietlydetermined New commenter

Me!

3. quietlydetermined

I just came home from my interview at YSJ - it was amazing! Unfortunately, the course is almost full so it looks like I'll be stuck with a waiting list place (however, apparently the chances of starting on the course in September with a waiting list place is actually pretty high). But with a waiting list place you automatically get a place for the following September if you don't start this year so that's quite positive.
    The percentage of last years graduates with a job is in the high-eighties apparently, and he did say that those who are restricted by area and year group are the ones who have found it difficult to find a job.

4. The news of the course being almost full makes me really sad :( My application went a while ago now and I haven't heard anything.
    Gutted.

Good luck lucyred, let us know how you get on.

5. quietlydetermined

They've got two more sets of interviews for waiting list places - the last being mid march - the interviewers had their timetables up on their doors - and don't forget that with a waiting list place you're guaranteed a place eventually. Don't give up hope!

6. I'm keeping eeeeeverything crossed but I really really need to know soon as my partner is going to be moving from reading with me (im coming from sheffield, and long distance sucks) and his house contract ends in june so I need to know soon so he can find a job up there.
    Ugh I just hate waiting and not finding out anything.

How did your interview go? It sounds like everyone else had a good day when they went?

7. quietlydetermined

The interview was great - a really enjoyable day. Everybody is so lovely! I really enjoyed the group task particularly, I think it was a much better way to display your strengths than in an interview. Plus, as the interview questions were focused around a scenario, I found these easier to answer than straightforward questions. I got a lot of positive feedback throughout the day, which was really good as it meant my nerves didn't run away with me.
    I just want to know now!

8. does anybody know anything about the open day in April yet? I know the date but no times etc.

9. I havent heard anythingyet either, should do soon though, not long till we go!

10. quietlydetermined

Through what medium did people find out after their interview? Was it GTTR, email, letter? And how long did it take? I'm going a bit crazy waiting now - 11 days and counting!

11. quietlydetermined

Scratch that, conditional offer! Woohoo!

12. Hey :)
    Congrats!! Come join our group on facebook for PGCE 2010 :) xx

13. I have my interview on Thursday! Bricking ittttt!!! I'm really excited but nervous too. But it's really good that everyone's saying the day is enjoyable. I'm scared about being put on the spot and not knowing what to say. Also, (priorities! he he) what did you wear? I know it has to be formal obviously, but can you give me an example of how formal?

One thing I'm worried about is that there wont be any places left, even for the waiting list now!!
    Well done to everyone who's got a place [​IMG] Does anyone else have their interview on Thursday?
    x

14. quietlydetermined

The information on the website says 'smart but comfortable'. I went with a smart black pencil dress, cardigan and flat shoes. Black trousers and jumper were a popular option! So long as you aren't dressed inappropriately (jeans/short skirt/low cut top etc) I don't think they'll take what you wear into account! (There is certainly no place on the accept/reject form they fill in that mentions appearence).
    Good luck!! They wouldn't still be interviewing if there were not even waiting list places left. And don't forget a waiting list place at least guarantees entry eventually - be it this year or next!

15. True true! I'm just thinking about it too much now and getting too hung up on all the little things. I was gonna wear heels (but don't wanna look like I'm going on a night out) a pencil skirt and a shirt. Do you think heels are a bad idea?
    Yeah, tbh York St John is the 4th place I've applied to because I didnt even get an interview at the first three places, so I'm just grateful I've got an interview, it's all a learning curve and a waiting list place would be amazing!! Well done on getting in [​IMG] x

16. quietlydetermined

I wouldn't say heels were a bad idea! Although the would be for me as I can't walk in heels, and would inevitably fall flat on my face in front of an interviewer!
    This was my third year applying so I know how tough it can be. Keep at it and eventually you'll make it! All the best for the interview!

17. Hey,
    Wear flat shoe's, you'll feel alot more comftable and won't be worrying as much of falling over or how you look. It's a long day (not much walking or standing) but you still want to be as comftable as possible I wore black trousers and a really dressey black and white top with a brown belt in the middle to break it up :) Some of the guys where in shirt and tie which impressed me loads but for ladies just smartly dressed seemed to be the key. No jeans, trainers or anything like that though.
    Just relax :) it's a nice day! I was worried about being put on the spot, and at times you are but this is something we all need to learn as teachers anyway so they don't expect you to know everything already. If you don't know an answer ask them to repeat the question or be honest and say i don't know! This happend to me, i replied "sorry can you explain that a little more" and he did to which it then made sense. So don't be affraid to be human! :)
    Let us know how you get on!! Best of luck!! x

18. Thanks for your help everyone [​IMG] yeah I'll let you know how I get on, thank you so so much! x

19. Hey
    Just to let folks know, the interview went well, but they told us at the start of the day that all the places for upper primary had gone and that we were competing to get on the waiting list, which wa a bit of a bummer! But it's all experience and if I do get on the waiting list then in the worst case scenario I'll still get a place for 2011 entry! But everyone was right, the day was really relaxed and enjoyable! [​IMG]

20. quietlydetermined

I'm glad it went well! Let us know when you find out!