1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary pgce interview task help!!!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by jcbraddock, Mar 19, 2010.

1. Hi,
    I have my pgce interview on 23rd March (next tuesday)! and one of many tasks i have to do is to engage a group in a discussion about:
    What is really precious in the world, and worth saving?

Originally the task was to children from years 3-6. I have just had an email that the children are going to be under the age of 4 now!!!
    I was going to talk about rainforests and recycling BUT I am stuck as to what to do now!??! Any help would be sooooo greatful [​IMG]
    Thanks Jenny

2. quietlydetermined

quietlydetermined New commenter

If they're under the age of four recycling is going to be a bit tricky to introduce. You could have a discussion with the children about the meaning of the word 'precious' and can they think of anything that is precious to them. Maybe extend it into thinking about how different things are precious to different people and whether or not anything is precious to everybody?
    Or you could talk about the world, and why the world is important to us?

3. Thanks,
    I have actually just thought about water being precious, and link it to how they use water everyday and if it was polluted or dried up how they wouldn't be able to use it. PLus our bodies are made up mostly of water as well!!!
    Hope it works!!

4. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I would leave out the bit about our bodies being made mostly of water, if you're talking to under 4s... that's too tricky a concept for them. But the topic of water is pretty good. Make sure to make the discussion visual and/or interactive in some way - perhaps pictures of different ways we use water, or a cup of (visibly) dirty water so that they can look and agree that they wouldn't want to drink it/use it to wash with/etc. Good luck with your interview!

5. Why are the children going to be under the age of four - surely they wouldn't be in school yet?

6. Because they're so young it might be a good idea to use props to grab their attention. This will make you stand out as well!
    For example, you could pass round a bottle of water (tightly sealed!) and then talk about its uses - drinking, washing, swimming, playing, sailing etc (with pictures) contrasted with how horrible it would be if we didn't have water (desert landscapes, thirsty people, smelly people) - I know this sounds juvenile but if they're only 3...!!!
    For trees you could pass round leaves or small branches and talk about rainforests and wildlife contrasted with deforestation and loss of habitats - again with pictures (might want to simplify the vocabulary though)
    For family and friends you could use some family pictures with smiling faces to pass round. Maybe get them to talk about their friends and family and say why they are precious to them individually. (little kids are rarely very shy) Ask them how they would feel if they had no friends and come up with ideas on how to be a good friend.
    How long does it have to be? If you dont have very long it may be good just to talk about just one thing in detail cos its easier and more beneficial for little ones to focus on just one thing at a time.
    Hope this is helpful - if a bit rambly!

7. Thanks for all the advice, the task is 10 minutes....I was going to take a plant and some water (one dirty and one clean/drinkable) and get them all to decide which one the plant would prefer...also could get them each to water the plant?? Then talk about what creatures live in water...what we use water for - like brush our teeth...wash our hands....
    My other tasks in the day and tricky - have to do a big brother task - so got to decide what item i would take into the house, music, book essential item and valuable item. But these have to describe my life so far, about me and my future and incorporate why i want to be a teacher!!
    Its going to be an eventful day!!

8. Kartoshka

Depending on how many children there are in the group, you might not want to get them to water the plant as it might take up your whole 10 minutes! Nursery children often take ages to do simple things. Do you know how many you'll have in the group?

9. There's only 4 children in the group, so i wouldn't have thought it
    would take too long!?

10. Kartoshka

Oh, that'll be fine!