1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary PGCE interview - reading activity for Year 3/4

Discussion in 'Primary' started by znh, Jan 8, 2016.

1. znh

znh New commenter

Hi,

I have a Primary PGCE interview next week and I have to deliver a 20 minute reading activity to a group of Year 3/4 pupils. It will involve reading a book or extract to them then having a related activity. I have never worked with Year 3/4 before so I am a bit lost on what will be challenging but appropriate for them, and short enough.

The first thing that came to mind was a reading comprehension sheet based on the book/ extract but it seems a bit boring and I want to make a good impression!

My current ideas (most likely for a Road Dahl chapter)
    - Character 'hot seat' speaking and listening activity, then pupils writing five adjectives to describe the character (but I am worried a chapter will not be enough information for the hot seat)
    - Reading a descriptive section and looking at similes/ metaphors/ personification. Then a work sheet on changing sentences from the section so it has a s/m/p.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Generally we advise people not to reply with ideas to posts like this as this is a public forum and can be read by the public, including potentially the Head / Interview panel who might be on the interview panel.

I will just say plan something you are comfortable with and confident at delivering. Adapt the planning according to the class responses- after all what will be suitable for an 'average' Yr3/4 class in one school would potentially ne too easy/ difficult in another school. There is no 'one size fits all'!

Ensure the pupils have sufficient time to be able to respond to any stimulus you provide and you go round ensuring pupils are progressing / not getting stuck. Sometimes the weaker, shy ones wont always like to ask someone they don't know for help.Behaviour might be more indicative- work avoidance strategies indicate either a child with needs or the material is above their heads.

Best of luck with it!

3. znh

znh New commenter

Hi Laura,

Thank you for the advice! I'll definitely adapt depending on the level of of the pupils, and ensure the pupils fully understand the activity and provide further support if needed.

4. mrs_sq

mrs_sq New commenter

Have you tried DIAL reading activities? There are a few examples on the TES site, but you can make your own really simply - questioning is key to them being effective. Good luck with the interview