1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary pgce interview Newcastle 2011

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by nikkip1036, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Hello all.
    I've also got my interview on the 18th. I actually got to interview last year but didn't get in unfortunately.
    It does say on the programme that we will have basic maths calculations to complete - fractions. long division etc.. It wasn't too difficult last year - make sure you know a bit on metric and imperial and which units are greater as well. There was a question on different weights last year.
    Also, I think we will be teaching to the interviewers this time round - last year it was to other candidates. There was no accessing the different levels of ability last year - just the teaching part. They have upped the ante it seems in light of fewer places being on offer.

2. Hi

I have the interview on wednesday. I just want to check does our lesson have to be suitable that it could be taught to key stage 1 or keystage 2 as in are they only telling us what year me are meant to be teaching on the day and we have to be able to adapt our lesson to that age group????

Also is it just the one item u are allowed to bring in or can u bring in sheets as well as a few more items. I have tried contacting the college about this but no one has got back to me. Is it ok to ask the "class" questions?

Any help would be really appreciated.

good luck to anyone else doing the interview

3. I'm fairly certain that we choose any topic from any subject (must be something that is taught at key stage one or two) and we pick the year group.
    I'm doing a maths topic that is normally taught to a year 5 class. I'm also using more than one item - have my artifact, some worksheets and an A3 piece of paper to demonstrate some maths. I found it very difficult to plan with only one item and I'd be surprised if they penalised us for using more than one (especially if it makes the lesson better).
    Also - I fully intend to ask questions to the class.
    I actually got to interview last year - people asked questions and we picked the year group.
    Hope this helps and good luck on Wednesday!

4. Surely the challenge was to just use one artefact? I'm sticking to the one, they wouldnt have said it, if we could have used more than one. Of course, it would be easier and a better lesson with more than one artefact, but they wouldnt havent told us one unless they meant it (in my opinion).
    Remember it also says there is an overhead projector that you can use.
    Good luck!

5. Hope everyone's interviews went well! :)

6. Let you know in 2-3 weeks!! ;)

7. Hey everyone,

Hope all interviews went well! How did u find yours?? Thought the lesson was great this year doing it infrong of lecturers rather than other applicants,

Has anyone heard back yet and have a decision? Just wish we could find out!! All this waiting is driving me mad!!
    :)

Nikki x

8. Hi everyone this is the first time i have posted anything so here i go. i recently had an interview at Newcastle Uni for the primary PGCE on the 21sy January. I know a few of you are in the same boat as me, but have any of you heard whether you have a place or not yet, i friend of mine has been reject and was told on the GTTR website 3 days ago but as of yet i havent heard a thing, i would love it if any of you could let me know any info.
    Cheers

Gareth

9. This won't be helpful at all Gareth, because I'm in the same boat as you, havent heard a thing :/ maybe no news is good news? what date did your friend have the interview?

Claire

10. He had his interview the week before on the Tuesday 11th january i think. And i hope no news is good news. i have logged into the GTTR website at least 10 times a day just to see if there is anything. i'm having a massive career change, i have never wanted anything so much in my life but like everyone else i suppose i just have to sit here and wait. lets hope my boss doesnt see me writting this because i havent told them yet [​IMG]

11. Aww i had mine on the 17th, so maybe my rejection is coming next :/ well i wish u all the luck in the world :D i just hope u havent stole my place lol. how did u find the lesson/interview anyways, my lesson was awful....i had very bold children lol.

12. Ive been feeling exactly the same as you magoo! i had my interview on the 20th and im just waiting for the rejection from gttr. my children werent too bad but i handled them really badly cos i was so nervous! every element of it went so badly ill be very surprised if im on!

13. I've just received an email from GTTR saying to log onto track, and I have been offered a place!

Yay! :D

This only came through very late today, so maybe track has changed now? Check it!

14. I received an offer today!
    Hope it's good news for everyone else as well.

15. Congrats to everyone who has been offered a place!!!! me i'm still waiting but again fingers crossed! my lesson went really really well and i even got a round of applause from them but that could of been them just being nice. I think i did ok. but still any other part of the day could of let me down. anyway i will keep everyone updated either way but i hope the people who really deserve getting through get through and not the people who i heard saying "i'm only doing this because i cant get a job elsewhere!" Good luck everyone!

16. and i have logged on this morning and still no news! the wait is killing me!

17. I havent heard anything either, ohhhhhdear :(

18. You'll be fine, if its clear to me you are committed then it will be clear to them. ifs its any help i'll cross my fingers for you as well. [​IMG] i think i have logged on every 5 minutes just to check lol

19. lol i no i havent got very much done this past week from continuosly logging on gttr, this and hotmail. awww thanks very much gareth, ill do the same for u. u from newcastle urself then?

20. Originally from Manchester but moved up here about 4 years ago. I tried to get onto teacher training last year but failed, i have studied soooo hard and done a shed load of work experience in schools using all my holidays from my current job just to make sure. anyway i'm off to log on to the gttr again lol