1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary PGCE Interview at MMU

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Becky2511, Jan 25, 2011.

1. Hello

I've got my interview next week at MMU I have to
    'Give a 2minute presentation on a current educational issue facing teachers today'
    I have decided to look at the stealth budget cuts of £500m - would this be a good topic to talk about????

Group Discussion - this follows on from the presentation
    Individual Interview
    Handwritten task - 'The Teacher I want to be' - Any help on this matter would be gratefully appreciated.
    Does anyone know if this has be 'cursive' handwriting? I struggle to continually write like this.

Any help on the above will be great, Im really starting to worry now!!

2. Hello

I've got my interview next week at MMU I have to
    'Give a 2minute presentation on a current educational issue facing teachers today'
    I have decided to look at the stealth budget cuts of £500m - would this be a good topic to talk about????

Group Discussion - this follows on from the presentation
    Individual Interview
    Handwritten task - 'The Teacher I want to be' - Any help on this matter would be gratefully appreciated.
    Does anyone know if this has be 'cursive' handwriting? I struggle to continually write like this.

Any help on the above will be great, Im really starting to worry now!!

3. bessiesmith

bessiesmith New commenter

I think I would try to choose a reasonably positive subject to talk about - preferably linked to pedagogy so that you don't need to get too political. They will be interested in your views on the practical nature of teaching - and in schools we just have to carry on, whatever budget we are given to work with - and we could always use more than we're given! I'm not a primary school teacher but for example you could talk about phonics-led reading, forest schools (look them up if you don't know what they are), pros and cons of using ICT in the classroom, successful ways of encouraging singing / sport etc.
    I'm sure if your handwriting is neat and legible they won't be too bothered about the style - but don't draw little love hearts over the 'i's or anything terrible like that!

4. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Of course we can help! Write an essay in your own words about the teacher YOU want to be. None of us knows what that is, so only you can do it.
    On the other hand, shall one of us pop down and do the whole interview for you?

5. With regards to the hand written task I meant if anybody had, had experience in past interviews of having done a hand written task if they could recommend anything that was said to them of things I need to cover etc.
    I want to make sure that I have all bases covered prior to going into my interview.

6. chicabonita

chicabonita New commenter

You need to think carefully about the sort of teacher you hope to be- in the classroom, outside the classroom, in a pastoral role, in a leadership role, and so on. Kind? Strict? Inspiring? Do you have any concrete examples? I wouldn't write reams of stuff, and if it's handwritten make sure it's legible and correct.
    As Middlemarch said, none of us can help you any more than this because none of us know what sort of teacher you hope to be.
    Incidentally, you also need to do your own preparation for your task about current issues in education, rather than ask other people for their opinions.