1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary PGCE Interview at Greenwich University next Friday!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by tinak2010, Nov 15, 2010.

1. I am so overwhelmed as i've got an interview at Greenwich university next week, but i'm also very happy as it is one step closer to reaching my dream to teach! I'm hopeless in group discussions but i'm also hoping that my inner confidence will come out next week cos i'm going to read up and be prepared. Has anyone applied to Greenwich and got an interview?

2. I am so overwhelmed as i've got an interview at Greenwich university next week, but i'm also very happy as it is one step closer to reaching my dream to teach! I'm hopeless in group discussions but i'm also hoping that my inner confidence will come out next week cos i'm going to read up and be prepared. Has anyone applied to Greenwich and got an interview?

3. I have an interview next week too, Im ok with the group discussion its the maths test Im worried about!

4. Yeah i'm rusty with maths too but it might help to brush up on it by going through some revision guides

5. I have Greenwich as my second choice. I went to the open day - did you go?

6. Nope but i've been to the university before and it looked pretty impressive!

7. I was really impressed with Greenwich too, I only put it as my second choice because my first choice is easier to travel to and I've got 2 young children. I won't be saying that in an interview obviously!
    The lecturer who gave the PGCE talk really emphasised the reflective nature of the course. He also said he would want to see that you know about current educational issues and that there would be a group task to show that you can work well in a team. Probably much the same for all uni's but I thought it might help

8. Oh right! Yeah i've been reading up on some of the issues that have been raised, theres plenty of material, i was sent a letter saying theres a maths test and written task as well as the group discussion so I hope theres plenty of opportunity to demonstrate relevant skills. Really nervous but we can only give it our best shot!

9. Hi All,
    I am still waiting to hear from Greenwich as to whether I have got an interview. It's very late in the year now and I'm hoping to get a place starting this September. I know there is no guarantee that I will even get an interview but I would rather prepare in advance nevertheless. So it would be great if those of you who have already had the interview could provide me with details as to what was asked of you. I know there is no guarantee's even if I do get an interview that Greenwich will use the same criteria to select students but it would still be useful just to get some idea. Every university seems to have a different way of selecting candidates and as I'm working full time I really don't have as much time to prepare. I've been working non-stop since the bursary for Primary PGCE has been withdrawn. Therefore any help with details of Greenwich interivew criteria would be great. Thanks.

10. Hope28

Hope28 New commenter

Hi Sdac,
    I'm also going to the interview on Friday and hoping for some advice from these forums. I've heard that BBC Bitesize for KS3 is a good place to brush up on maths but it's the group interview that scares me! They ask for discussion on current issues in primary schools but those that I've read about on government websites and Oxford Uni Press etc don't seem to match the issues I've found in the places I've done work experience so I'm not sure what we should be talking about. Any advice from anyone who's been through this kind of thing gratefully received! I'm assuming they also give some time for you to ask questions though that's not clear on the paperwork.
    Thanks,
    Hope28

11. the bursary for the primary PGCE has been withdrawn? It's getting ridiculous..not only did I spend 20k getting a degree, I'm now willing to spend a further £9,000 getting my QTS and there's no bursary?

I'm currently awaiting my referee's to pull their fingers out so I can get my application sent off. Figured applying now does me no harm and if I manage to get on I'm a year ahead than I thought I would be.

Good luck to ALL who are awaiting replies and have upcoming interviews.

12. sparkleshine

sparkleshine New commenter

There are bursaries available for 2012 starters dependant on class of degree. For primary teaching you get £5000 for a 2:1, £9000 for a first. No bursary for a 2:2 or below. Good luck with your app although it's extremely late to apply for primary - most providers will have already filled their places or be in the process of interviewing. There's always next year, though!