1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary PGCE Interview and QTS tests!!!!

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by chilledcoconut, Jan 18, 2011.

1. Heeeey guys,
    I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice with regard to the maths test we are expected to complete for the Primary PGCE interview. I was advised to practise the QTS maths tests as they are supposed to be a good reflection of the sort of questions we will be asked on the day and ohhhhhh lord, the mental arithmetic was sooooooo hard!!!
    Are we really expected to be able to work out that level of maths in our head that quickly?!
    I've been practising mental maths with Year 6 and the level on the QTS is MUCH higher so what level do we actually need to be at for the interview? Any advice will be much appreciated especially if you have been or are going to an interview at Northumbria!!!

2. Hey

My test didn't have any mental maths. That bit of the qts tests makes me panic and I can't think clearly.
    It was approximately foundation gcse level and got quite tough towards the end with similtanious equation etc.
    Fingers crossed for you.

3. Ahhh right I see!!! Okies, I'm gunna refresh up to foundation level on the GCSE bitesize website, thanks for your advice, much appreciated!

4. Hi
    I had a maths test at Kingston and a separate one for a GTP application. It was nothing like as hard as the QTS level. A lot of it was very straightforward. Don't worry!
    Clive