1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary PGCE Hertfordshire 2011

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Vickie3001, Jul 10, 2011.

1. Hi, wondering if there is anybody out there that will be attending the Primary PGCE at Hertfordshire in September?
    I thought it may be a good opportunity to meet some people before the course starts and swap info
    I am a mum with kids who are 6&8 and have been working part time for 3 years. In this time I have brushed up on my GCSE Science and got my qualifications in order. I have been working as a voluntary TA in my kids school in a reception class which I have loved. Looking forward to starting in September by have 'issues' on how to fit it around my kids. Looking into after school options and leaning on friends for favours. It's not going to be pretty however needs must I guess. Would love to hear from anybody else out there!

2. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

Are you flexi or campus based? I did my PGCE here 2009/2010 so let me know if you have any questions x

3. Hi!
    I start in September too! I am so excited and nervous at the same time!! I just graduated from Loughborough Uni with a politics degree but teaching is what has always been for me :)

4. Hi Carly. I am campus based and if you are happy, I do have a couple of questions....
    Is the course 9-5, 5 days a week?
    Are thee any books you would recommend I start reading now
    How did you find your placement?
    What was expected of you on the placement?
    Have you managed to secure a job yet?

Hope you don't mind me asking
    Thanks

Vickie xxxxxx

5. Hi there, I am getting quite excited about it now too. I have a friend who will be study at the same time however she is doing it from home. Are you lower or upper primary?

Vickie xxxx

6. Hi Vickie, Becki, Cally and Newbz,

Im starting the primary course (upper) in September too. Getting really excited now, it seems so close now that I have finished my job (as a TA) and am starting to think about what I will need etc. I have also only received health questionaireetc, but hopefully we will be getting more info soon.
    Great hearing from others on the course,
    Christine :)

7. Not heard officially anything either yet. I was offered to study from home however felt I am not disciplined enough and would always find something which needs doing!
    What I do know from Tim Roberts (senior lecturer and PGCE Programme director) are the proposed dates for the placements as follows: 21 Nov - 20th Jan and 19th March - 3rd July
    These are of course excluding school holidays
    Course starts 19th Sept. Just over 5 weeks to go!

8. Hi Guys,
    I also just finished my PGCE at Hertfordshire University. I did lower primary option. You will have a great time. Don't worry about subject knowledge - you are never tested or anything while on the course. They also have subject knowledge session where the University staff run through lots of fab ideas on how to teach subjects creatively. As for the skills tests, you've got the whole year to pass them and you can take them as many times as you need to. The placements are the toughest aspect of the course. But the University offers lots of support, so if you need to, make use of it. Those of you who have experience helping out in schools or working as a TA have a good base to start from. I had limited experience and found it hard to know where to start when planning. The food in the University canteen was awesome. Read as many children's books as you can. Watch teacher's tv programmes, now Teachersmedia.co.uk. There is a lot to cram into a year and sometimes it'll be stressful, but it's also lots of fun.

9. Hi Vickie,

I know these questions were meant for Carly, but as I am on now, thought I's answer them. The University say, you should be availble Mon-Fri 9-5 as lessons can be during these hours. You will get a timetable pretty early on and will find that you are not in all the time. You even get some whole days off which are 'study' days where you are supposed to complete tasks posted on the University's website - studynet. A word about studynet: take the tasks with a pinch of salt. They set you a lot and there is a rough time guide with each task saying how long it will take you - these are never correct. I spent 13 hours trying to complete a 5 hour task and still didn't finish. After that I just did as much as I felt I needed to. Nobody looks at the work you have done, it is for your benefit only. On the other hand, the tasks are very useful and are intended to boost your subject knowledge. As you can only access the resources on studynet for your year of study,make note of any web sites or ideas this year. As I said in my other post, read children's books. You will not have time later to do this and building up a good knowledge of age appropriate books is crucial - also fun. There will also be a list of text books sent through. The University arranged ALL placements. So don't worry about that. Your first placement seems to last forever but is actually quite short. Mine was only 5 weeks but they may have changed that. The first week of each of your placements in 'observation' week. You might be expected to read a story but not much else - unless you want to of course. But it is a good idea to try to take in as much as you can on that week. Learn the children's names, class routines, photocopy school policies, etc. Then you slowly build up your teaching over the weeks. I start my first job in September teaching year 1. Also nervous but excited too. Any other questions, just ask :)

10. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer and congrats on securing a position!. There are some good top tips here!

11. Helloo,
    I'm starting the primary PGCE in at Hertfordshire in September too and I just graduated from Loughborough Uni too! Are you staying in halls or living off campus? Very excited and nervous toooo! :)

12. Hi Christine,
    Im starting at Herts in 2012 on PGCE. Do you have a book list or any other helpful stuff I could start looking at now
    Thanks
    Avril

13. cally1980

Sorry I must have missed the replies! You will have a fab year, it is tough but really great. Tim is very good and Julie is the Literacy tutor, she is fab! If you get Jack Bacon, Diane Crocker or June something as your visiting tutor they are great too! The local schools are very good and a great place to learn :) will read back & see if all the questions were answered!

14. cally1980

As for the placements, Ben will sort them out but he can be rather terse in his replies as he has to arrange hundreds of placements every year and you cant please everyone so dont take it personally! I can tell you first hand that Sheredes in Hoddesdon and Broxbourne CofE are both amazing. It is intense, 9-5 at least! 1st placement you teach 60% of the timetable after a weeks observation, enquiry placement can usually be done at 1st placement school, 3rd placement is pretty much a whole term teaching 80% from Easter to summer. I wouldn't worry about pre reading too much, enjoy your summer because soon enough you will not have any spare time! Job wise, you have to look and interview while on final placement, dont leave it too late or they will go! Early summer term is the optimum time around here! I got a job straight away (started 3 days after final placement ended!) and left after 1 year, didnt struggle with finding a new job however, there has been v.little out so far this year so it will really depend.