1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary PGCE/GTP

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by Nikki786, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Nikki786

Nikki786 New commenter

I want to ask would i be allowed to attend a GTP interview when i have already accepted a PGCE offer?
    When i first got accepted by a PGCE provider, i hadnt heard anything from the GTP provider so i gave up and accpeted the PGCE as i didnt want to lose the opportunity, however after a month i have now been offered a GTP interview,would it be okay to attend this interview and see how i get on and then choose between the two if i get accepted or would i not be allowed to do this??
    would appreciate your help. Thanks!

2. Nikki786

Nikki786 New commenter

I want to ask would i be allowed to attend a GTP interview when i have already accepted a PGCE offer?
    When i first got accepted by a PGCE provider, i hadnt heard anything from the GTP provider so i gave up and accpeted the PGCE as i didnt want to lose the opportunity, however after a month i have now been offered a GTP interview,would it be okay to attend this interview and see how i get on and then choose between the two if i get accepted or would i not be allowed to do this??
    would appreciate your help. Thanks!

3. Yes - you can.

I was in the exact same position as you. I had been offered a place on a PGCE course but had to accept or decline before my GTP interview. I was extremely fortunate to be offered a GTP place and as soon as I had it in writing I withdrew from the PGCE course.

If you are offered a GTP place you will need to relinquish your PGCE place with the university and also through the GTTR. I couldn't see a way of doing this via the internet so rang the GTTR direct. They then sent me a confirmation email that I had withdrawn from the PGCE process and no longer had a place.

Good luck with the interview - I hope you get to chose.

4. Nikki786

Nikki786 New commenter

Thank you so much, I really appreciate that. Can i also ask, before you attended the GTP interview did you enquire about this problem? and did you inform the GTP provider that you had already accepted a PGCE offer? because im not sure whether i should tell them or not.

5. I didn't actually need to mention it because it's the same provider. At the PGCE interview and also at the GTP interview as part of the introduction they told all the candidates that it's really not a problem to apply for both routes and that they simply regard it as a sign of how keen you are to get into teaching. They also recognise that it's very common and they only ask that if you accept a place you then don't wish to take up to let them know ASAP so they can offer it to someone else.

As for whether to tell them or not, I wouldn't lie about it if asked but I also wouldn't bring it up myself unless it's relevant to the conversation or as a way of showing how keen you are about teaching as a career.

Good Luck.

6. Nikki786

Nikki786 New commenter

Right I see. It's a different case with me,I have 2 different providers and I don't want to inform the GTP provider just incase they either don't let me attend the interview or they may not accept me,seeing as I have already accepted the PGCE offer. But on the other hand,I don't want them to think i'v lied...so its a tough decision :S . Do you think it would be a good idea to enquire before hand from the GTP provider?

7. If I were you I would just go to the interview. Don't specifically mention you've had the offer of a PGCE place unless they ask. They'll be very aware people apply for both routes. If they do bring it up just tell them that you're determined to train as a teacher and the PGCE is one way of getting there although the GTP is your preferred route because of x, y and z reasons.

I don't think this is a case of lying by omission - it's simply keeping your options open and you can bet that there will be more than one person interviewing for the GTP with a PGCE place under their belt.

8. Nikki786

Nikki786 New commenter

Okay...I'l take your advice,hope it doesn't go wrong *fingers crossed* . Btw are you starting GTP this September then? Which uni did you apply to?

9. I'm starting in September with Brighton Uni, working at the school I currently work at as a TA. Really looking forward to it, especially as I tried last year and didn't get a place.

Good luck and let me know how it goes (when is it?).

10. Nikki786

Nikki786 New commenter

Ah I see, that's good that you'll be working in the same school,makes things so much easier! And thanks, it's in 4 weeks time so I'v got a while to go yet. Need to start preparing for it. Did you have to do some sort of presentation in your interview ?