1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary PGCE at IoE

Discussion in 'Thinking of teaching' started by valreas, Nov 4, 2011.

1. I've applied for a place on the part-time Primary PGCE at the IoE in London. Just wondering who else has applied and if any of you have heard back yet? My application went in on 13/10 so guessing I may still have a wait to hear if I get an interview. I think their website said they aim to deal with your application within 20 working daya.

2. I've applied for a place on the part-time Primary PGCE at the IoE in London. Just wondering who else has applied and if any of you have heard back yet? My application went in on 13/10 so guessing I may still have a wait to hear if I get an interview. I think their website said they aim to deal with your application within 20 working daya.

3. luv_a_duck

luv_a_duck New commenter

My application was sent to IoE (full-time Primary) on 11th October and I've not heard anything yet.
    I'm just hoping that no news is good news.
    I hope you hear something soon. x

4. Thanks luv a duck. I guess it really does take them a long time to start letting people know - frustrating though!

5. I applied on Oct 27th and have just heard by email (no update on GTTR) that I have an interview - they said they will confirm the date next week, but it will be either 14th Dec or 24th Jan. Yay!

6. luv_a_duck

luv_a_duck New commenter

I have also received an email today to say that I've been invited for an interview! [​IMG]
    Perhaps I'll see you there hats100!

7. Hi you two. I've also had an email today inviting me to interview on December 14th. Have you two managed to fathom the excel spreadsheet? I can't work out what Group number and colour I am from it. Worrying I'm failing some basic idiocy test!

8. Weirdly the excel spreadsheet works on my phone but not my laptop - still have at least located myself on the spreadsheet now. Mildly terrified about the interview now. Not sure I'll sleep much for the next two weeks!

9. luv_a_duck

luv_a_duck New commenter

Hello!
    I haven't received this email yet, so assume I'll be interviewed in January.
    Sorry I can't help with the spreadsheet problem.
    Are you happy to share what else the interview entails?
    Good luck - try to get some sleep over the next two weeks! x

10. Spreadsheet sorted - the names weren't showing up on one version.

Absolutely. There's an introductory talk. You have to give a 3-5 minute presentation (this is to one tutor and one other applicant) drawing on your school experience. No visual aids but notes permitted. You have to discuss a good lesson you observed, describe how it unfolded and analyse the elements that contributed to its success. This is in a 10 minute time slot. There is then a 10 minute slot for an individual interview - you and one tutor. And then there's a written assessment in English and Maths (1 hour time slot). The day lasts from 9.30 to 2 and the different groups have the individual elements of the interview timed throughout the day.

11. luv_a_duck

luv_a_duck New commenter

Just wondering if anybody had interviews at the IoE today and how they thought it went.
    I'm hoping they (and the tests) were very nice to everyone! x

12. It was ok luv_a_ duck - haven't got time to post properly now but I'll come back later/tomorrow.

13. So a bit more detail on the interview. The presentation is in front of two tutors and one other applicant - you take turns to make your presentation. You can stand or sit and you are not interrupted at all - you get a warning when you've taken 4 minutes and you will be cut off if you reach 5. After both presentations one applicant moves room and you are interviewed by one tutor for 20 minutes. Questions are what you would expect, including one where they ask you to pick a current issue in education that has caught your eye and you get to talk for a while about it.

The Maths test was pretty hard I'd say - it's worth revising. Have a look at fractions, decimals, conversions, ratios, sequences etc.. The English test they had changed from last year. It is no longer correcting grammar etc. - it's writing a mini essay. I was so tired by the time I did that I just wanted to go home! Met lots of nice people - it's a long and tiring day.

They had said they hoped to let us know this week. They said we would either be rejected or get an email to say they were very interested in our application - said they wouldn't be able to make formal offers until they had their TDA allocations. However, I had a holding email yesterday saying they've been advised by the TDA and GTTR not to make decisions about offers yet until they have more information on their allocation. It's all very frustrating. Hope you guys hear soon.

14. luv_a_duck

luv_a_duck New commenter

Thanks for all the info. I hope you don't have to wait too long before you hear.
    In the meantime, have a very merry Christmas!

15. luv_a_duck

luv_a_duck New commenter

Happy New Year!
    Just wondering if anyone knows what we need for the English and Maths tests. I assume we need to take our own pens, pencils and rubbers but do we need to bring protracters or anything else? I'm assuming the Maths test is without a calculator!
    Thanks x

16. All you need is a pen/pencil - the Maths test I did at the IoE was just general arithmetic without a calculator, and there were no questions that required any equipment. The English test was just writing. Hope that helps. Best of luck!

17. Congratulations valreas!
    A very nice way to start 2012.
    Best of luck with the interview luv_a_duck, let me know if you have any questions about it.

18. Yep same from me luv-a-duck.

Hats100 - have you heard anything direct from the IoE yet? All I've had is the change of status/offer on the GTTR website.

19. Nothing at all apart from the GTTR change unfortunately, I desperately want to know more!

20. luv_a_duck

luv_a_duck New commenter

Just wondering if anybody else has heard back about Tuesday's interview.
    I had a GTTR email at lunchtime and logged on to discover I'd been offered a place. [​IMG]
    I still can't quite believe it as although the interview and presentation had gone well, I felt that my performance in the assessments wasn't too great. In the last 48 hours I think I'd pretty much talked myself out of thinking that I'd ever get a place.
    All good now though. Thanks again to those who had shared their knowledge of their interview experience back in December. Perhaps I'll bump into you come the autumn! x