1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary PGCE and want to teach EYFS

Discussion in 'Primary' started by fwrench, Mar 11, 2012.

1. I am due to complete my PGCE Primary this June and am currently looking for NQT jobs. I have decided that I definately want to work in the EYFS (and have had some experience in this) but am worried about applying for jobs in this particular area. What is the reality of applying for a position in EYFS when I have not covered it in depth during my PGCE. I wondered if anybody had any advice about how to get into the early years... Would a couple of years in KS1 be better and then a movement once I am comfortable with school life.

I am a bit confused!!!!!

Cheers!!!

2. I am due to complete my PGCE Primary this June and am currently looking for NQT jobs. I have decided that I definately want to work in the EYFS (and have had some experience in this) but am worried about applying for jobs in this particular area. What is the reality of applying for a position in EYFS when I have not covered it in depth during my PGCE. I wondered if anybody had any advice about how to get into the early years... Would a couple of years in KS1 be better and then a movement once I am comfortable with school life.

I am a bit confused!!!!!

Cheers!!!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

If you have FS experience you will be in a better position than a great many primary trained NQTs.

But you certainly could apply for KS1 posts and move later, you won't be stuck in one place forever.

I started my career as a secondary maths teacher, spent most of the time teaching years 5-8 in middle school, moved to primary and spent a couple of years teaching year 5 and 6 and now have year 2. Anything is possible!

4. dc521

dc521 New commenter

What's to be lost by sending in an application? You don't know what will happen, so have a go and take it from there. Equally, if a great KS1 job came up, go for it and then settle into the school before trying to move stages. With the current job market and economic climate, people will need to hunt for a job.