1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary PE Assessment

Discussion in 'Physical education' started by billcarson, Apr 13, 2016.

?

Do you like having the choice to use your own level criteria in PE?

Poll closed Apr 20, 2016.
  1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Indifferent

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. billcarson

billcarson New commenter

Hi ya,

I work in Primary PE (year 2 -6) and our school is trying to implement a new assessment procedure now that the NC levels have been removed.

The secondary part of our school is using the 1-9 GCSE as a basis for their assessment.

Can anyone give me any ideas or pointers that they are using or that their school is using.

Cheers for any help in advance.

James

2. hhhh

hhhh Star commenter

If the school is making you use one, don't see how it's any improvement. Yes, ok , you can think about your own school area etc, but every year will bring new individuals and it's more new paperwork for teachers to stress about (and how many have WRS-seems a big problem). Can't remember who it was said that once teachers were set free from government messing that they'd learn to be free-yet it seems many schools are now setting these things. Eg Ofsted don't demand marking policies in pink and blue triplicate, but lots of people on here say their schools set them, instead of embracing freedom and letting each teacher choose what's best. They seemed to learn to read and write when we didn't have all these policies in the 80s.

3. SportyK

SportyK Occasional commenter

We use the C2C Alliance SOW: it supplies a pretty comprehensive assessment criteria. Not sure if this helps?

4. billcarson

billcarson New commenter

Hi ya,

thank you for your replies, the C2C stuff looks good, only problem now would be if my school wanted to pay for it!!!

Cheers

SportyK likes this.
  5. SportyK

Maybe ask if they would consider a trial run for 'free' or discount price for say one unit of work. Might be a way to convince SLT of its value. My HT was delighted with the quality and that it is up to date - you've got parkour and other more modern activities on offer as well as the usual stuff.

6. billcarson

billcarson New commenter

Hi ya,

thank you for this, I have emailed them about using part of their assessment/SOW as a trial, waiting to hear back.

Cheers

SportyK likes this.
  7. redlorry

redlorry New commenter

Can I ask how good the C2C schemes and assessments are? I have tried to contact them to ask them for a sample before I buy it (one year group, one activity - with assessment sheet), but so far have had no luck with anyone getting back to me.

I am a secondary PE teacher, but have recently taken post as PE teacher and coordinator in a primary school. We use target tracker for assessment, but I feel that it doesn't give the kids enough credit for how much progress they are actually making. It is, in my opinion, far too generic.

Looking for something simple - but worth doing - to use in my school.

8. SportyK

I think it's pretty effective. The plans are very visual and help less confident primary teachers deliver good content lessons. I am pleased with the assessment grids. However, I have scaled them down as our staff have more than enough on their plate without filling in tranches of boxes for PE as well.

9. redlorry

redlorry New commenter

Thanks for that, still waiting on someone to get back to me, was told someone would call on Friday but nothing yet so have been looking at other options. There are a few out there so need to do a bit more research I think. I know what you mean about staff filling in more assessment than they need to. I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible.

10. Bevi1

Bevi1 New commenter

I've recently started to use SOLO taxonomy as a form of assessment for and of learning. On the plus side it is easily unique to each setting and accessible for generalist primary teachers and pupils, it's a bespoke and interactive way of tracking self assessment and afl. on the downside, it requires good subject knowledge and time to ensure that it influences progression throughout each area and each Key Stage.

https://prezi.com/1l4zdzccvyck/solo-taxonomy-in-physical-education/

the link is an explanation about the taxonomy and how it can be used in PE