1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

primary outreach ideas

Discussion in 'Science' started by Hawkgirl, May 2, 2011.

1. I am a secondary science teacher and am looking for ideas for primary outreach. I am trying to design a 2hr workshop for years 4-6 that I could go into schools to deliver. I am just a bit stumped as to what topics and tasks would be suitable, the idea is to really impress the kids and to get them enthused about the prospect of secondary science.

Does anyone here do anything similar and would they be happy to share ideas? Or does anyone primary trained have any thoughts on a topic you think the pupils would enjoy?

I have never organised anything like this before so any help is much appreciated!!

2. I am a secondary science teacher and am looking for ideas for primary outreach. I am trying to design a 2hr workshop for years 4-6 that I could go into schools to deliver. I am just a bit stumped as to what topics and tasks would be suitable, the idea is to really impress the kids and to get them enthused about the prospect of secondary science.

Does anyone here do anything similar and would they be happy to share ideas? Or does anyone primary trained have any thoughts on a topic you think the pupils would enjoy?

I have never organised anything like this before so any help is much appreciated!!

3. If you are going to the primaries, you will need to take most of what you need with you. If it is at all feasible to get the primary to come to you, you have the added benefit of the lab as a wow factor and the help of your technicians, plus access to all your equipment.
    Talk to the primary staff - sometimes there are specific topics that they would like covered - other times they are happy to let you choose. Last year we had a range of ages of primary pupils in to our secondary school - with the younger ones we did pond dipping.... with the older ones we did investigations - we made and tested indicator and we made whirlicopters..... simple experiments in themselves, but the pupils really enjoyed it.
    I also recommend you get some helpers - we used G&T students and our lab technicians, plus the staff from the primaries.
    Another way of looking at it is to take a theme - like colour.... then you can do chromatography, change the colour of white flowers, watch the ink moving through a piece of celery - use indicators etc etc....
    Or you could do some simple but exciting chemical reactions - bicarb volcanos, film cannister rockets, coke & menotes..... and demo acid & metal to make hydrogen.....
    HTH

4. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

Getting them to come to you, (if possible) is a very good suggestion. I have done transition work with our feeder first schools, using Bunsen Burners is very exciting for them! I have also done work on properties of Solids, Liquids and Gases and have had them work around a circus of activities, (syringes sealed with S, L and G, balloons, spray cans, Fans, died liquid and a range of containers, sand and a range of containers (good for the HA.)) I then show them burining the methane bubbles. At the end we make corflower gloop and I ask the children to try and say what properties it has got and if it is a solid or a liquid.

5. This may sound a bit negative - apologies - but please don't start covering the KS3 syllabus! If you do then, it can be difficult to accommodate the disparate sets of knowledge, competence & confidence when they arrive in the secondary school.
    If you can address 'off -syllabus' science and / or get them to improve their vocabulary & skills that would be great! For example, observing & recording events in detail, taking readings, drawing up & filling in tables, thinking about how best to get accurate results, how to set up a control experiment, what 'fair test' actually means, communicating ideas & relults. All this would be great - thanks!