1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary Online Learning Resources: what are your thoughts?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by TomHarris2010, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    My role in our secondary school is to arrange online learning resources for our feeder schools. Originally we were Espresso fans - had that for three years in all but one of the feeders. For the last three years (and up until this July) we've been using Education City. We've lost another of our primaries, that opted out, and that now appears to be coming down to cost. Ed City is fine - but it's proving expensive. And as we contribute 30% of the overall cost as part of our partnership scheme we're mindful too.

For renewal we've been looking at what else is out there. So, has anyone had experience of the following, and can they say how they compare with Ed City?

1. Brainpop: seems to be increasingly popular, though I'm not convinced of its largely video based format. Happy to be convinced otherwise though. Seems to be very big in the US (where it comes from) but there does seem to be a lot of UK specific materials.

2. Planet Sherston: looks to have great potential but is new (not necessarily a bad thing, admitted) and has a mix of some established Sherston resources and some new stuff. Price is a big consideration here - about half the price of Edc City!

Any comments/advice welcome. I have to make the final decision and don't want to get it wrong. But we also have to save money.

Tom

2. Hi all,
    My role in our secondary school is to arrange online learning resources for our feeder schools. Originally we were Espresso fans - had that for three years in all but one of the feeders. For the last three years (and up until this July) we've been using Education City. We've lost another of our primaries, that opted out, and that now appears to be coming down to cost. Ed City is fine - but it's proving expensive. And as we contribute 30% of the overall cost as part of our partnership scheme we're mindful too.

For renewal we've been looking at what else is out there. So, has anyone had experience of the following, and can they say how they compare with Ed City?

1. Brainpop: seems to be increasingly popular, though I'm not convinced of its largely video based format. Happy to be convinced otherwise though. Seems to be very big in the US (where it comes from) but there does seem to be a lot of UK specific materials.

2. Planet Sherston: looks to have great potential but is new (not necessarily a bad thing, admitted) and has a mix of some established Sherston resources and some new stuff. Price is a big consideration here - about half the price of Edc City!

Any comments/advice welcome. I have to make the final decision and don't want to get it wrong. But we also have to save money.

Tom

3. Hi Tom, I'm going to hold my hands up here - I work for BrainPOP! And I totally understand this is not a place you want to be "sold" to. But there's been no other response so I thought I'd say hi and try to help, if your questions are still relevent.

I just wanted to say that the easiest way to figure out if BrainPOP is for you is to take a look at the free topics available (http://www.brainpop.co.uk/free_stuff_from_brainpop_uk/) or take a free 30 day trial: http://www.brainpop.co.uk/freetrialeducationalestablishment/index.weml .

Here's a mini intro to the site created by a Year 6 teacher if you've only got a couple of minutes: http://www.brainpop.co.uk/blog/2011/04/technology-tips-in-10-mins/

If you have any further questions we're always happy to help so just give me a call on 0800 141 2404 or email info@brainpop.co.uk . If you want a more in depth chat or demo please reach out and we'll chat!