1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary NQT feeling like giving up

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by MissHoney232, Jan 24, 2012.

1. I graduated with a high 2:1 in July 2010 after doing a 4 year BA in Primary education. I had been given consistantky good reports throughout sthe 4 years and decided to go on to do supply for a while to get more experience. I then started applying for jobs in March 2010. since then I have sent almost 100 applications and had only about 6 interviews. Each time the interviewer said I had a fantastic interview and a great lesson, but they gave a job to someone who had completed their nqt year and had more experience.

A year and a half after graduating, I am starting to feel cheated. teaching is the only thing I know I am good at and yet here I am with nothing. supply work is scarce and even when it does come about the worry and stress of not knowing what to expect makes me physically sick.

All my friends seem to be moving on, getting promotions, moving out etc, I feel like I havent moved at all, in fact- it feels more like I have failed myself.

I am beginning to regret wasting so so much money on my degree for nothing?! Should I keep putitng myself through this misery, or cut my losses and run?! I feel that when July 2012 comes along, I will have no choice but to do the latter. Anyone else in a smiliar situation?!

2. I graduated with a high 2:1 in July 2010 after doing a 4 year BA in Primary education. I had been given consistantky good reports throughout sthe 4 years and decided to go on to do supply for a while to get more experience. I then started applying for jobs in March 2010. since then I have sent almost 100 applications and had only about 6 interviews. Each time the interviewer said I had a fantastic interview and a great lesson, but they gave a job to someone who had completed their nqt year and had more experience.

A year and a half after graduating, I am starting to feel cheated. teaching is the only thing I know I am good at and yet here I am with nothing. supply work is scarce and even when it does come about the worry and stress of not knowing what to expect makes me physically sick.

All my friends seem to be moving on, getting promotions, moving out etc, I feel like I havent moved at all, in fact- it feels more like I have failed myself.

I am beginning to regret wasting so so much money on my degree for nothing?! Should I keep putitng myself through this misery, or cut my losses and run?! I feel that when July 2012 comes along, I will have no choice but to do the latter. Anyone else in a smiliar situation?!

3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Don't know what happened there,my reply seems to have been lost in cyberspace?
    So rant first. YES, you and hundreds of other hopeful wanna-be teachers like yourself, <u>are</u> being let down and being cheated. What a criminal waste of talent!
    NO, you haven't failed yourself. You have aspirations to enter that truly wonderful world of being a teacher and helping children fulfil their potential. That is not a failure. It's just the teaching world is just SO incredibly competitive and oversubscribed just at the moment.
    So having got that out of the way. . . . What can you do to start on your chosen path of career. 6 interviews in the past 18 months isn't awful (compared to others) but perhaps your applications could be better. I presume you're following all Theo's brilliant advice in the clickables at the start of this thread? How can you convince yourself (and therefore potential employers) that YOU are the ideal candidate, the unique person who is the missing jigsaw to their school? Look with fresh eyes at your application. (I'm just writing one at the minute, not having one to do since last November and it's remarkable how, with fresh eyes, one can see how to improve what had previously looked a good application.)
    Remember, job hunting season is to commence shortly so start being positive now.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

At this stage, what you need to do, Miss H, is come to see us.
    I'm afraid that it will cost you, but there comes a point when you need to invest to increase your chances of getting a job.
    Going to a seminar has worked for many posters, here'sjust one of them saying so:
    Dear Theo.....I got the job!!!!!
    Next one is with me, on Saturday 21 February. Course, the thought of meeting me might be a big turn off . . .
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com<font size="2" color="#0000ff"> </font>
    There is interview training too in the afternoon that day:
    www.tesweekendworkshop86.eventbrite.com
    Alternately, you might like to open your piggy bank and come for a One-to-One session with me or someone else from the team. Again, people have found this helpful:
    Dear Everyone... I met TheoGriff!
    Theo and tremendous support
    Theo's 'One to One' careers service....
    I'm sorry that the only advice that I can give is to shell out some money, but after that many unsuccessful applications, you really need some serious help to move forward. And it is now or never, as you say yourself.
    So think seriously about it. You may even need to borrow the money from the Bank of M&D.
    Best wishes
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25thwww.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com<font size="2" color="#0000ff"> </font>
    www.tes.co.uk/careerseminars
    Best wishes

5. tigger82

tigger82 New commenter

Next one is with me, on Saturday 21 February. Course, the thought of meeting me might be a big turn off . . .
    25th Theo? The 21st is a Tuesday and my 30th birthday eek!
    OP. Reading posts like yours makes me so angry at the situaion in teaching. What a waste of talent!
    Please don't give up. Keep going. Apply for everything you can and look as far afield as you can. Do you have friends/relatives in other parts of the country who could put you up short ter, if you got a job?
    My heart goes out to you.

6. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

7. Hi Miss M,
    Just wanted to say... please do keep going, there will be a time when you are in the place at the right time. Unfortunately the teaching situation isn't great, but you will get there. Keep faith and keep searching. Have you tried to possibly move to a different location within the UK? Maybe to an area that my offer better supply opportunities? Maybe through long term supply you will get a school that will help you get your NQT.
    I just wanted to say keep at it! Don't give up, if it's something you've always wanted!
    Best of luck.
    PR

8. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Saturday 25th February. Saturday 25th February. I need to write this out 100 times.
    I do Application and Interview one-to-ones, and also contribute to the Job Application Seminars. We look at application letters, executive summaries and interviews, with practical exercises that people really appreciate.
    I shall be doing the Win That Teaching Job seminar on Saturday February 25th
    www.tesweekendworkshop87.eventbrite.com<font size="2" color="#0000ff"> </font>