1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary non strikers!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by thehawk, Jun 17, 2011.

1. thehawk

thehawk New commenter

WE have no NUT rep at my school, even though more than 50% of staff (nine from 16) are NUT. I would do it, but they have their union meetings on Monday evenings. Strangely, all primary schools in the area have Staff meetings on Monday, and secondaries on Tuesday, thus suiting secondary teachers completely, and primary teachers not at all.

2. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Lead commenter

Well said!

3. I was on a training course yesterday, and returned today to find that a letter was sent home to parents yesterday saying that no one in our school is striking! I wasn't even asked! We don't have a union rep (for any union, but most of the 9 teachers at our school are NUT) so although I wanted to get involved it looks like it won't happen. Plus i'm on a 3 day residential during the strike, so I wouldn't be able to do it anyway, but it really shows how much our school cares if they send home a letter like that without even consulting the teachers first!

4. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

Hand up everyone who's going to strike???

Thought so.

5. I am! Might be on my own, but I definitely am. My daughter's school is closed completely.

6. Cervinia

Cervinia Occasional commenter

Nervously waits for someone else to raise hand...
    "What? Me? No I was just stretching."
    "Anyone else?"
    All it takes for one brave soul in each school. Wasn't me at mine but the job has been done and well done for it.

7. carriecat10

carriecat10 Occasional commenter Community helper

Why can't you strike? It is your right to choose ... not up to the school. It doesn't matter whether you have a union rep or not and even if you do they don't have to go to meetings. Post just gets sent ot them and they have to distribute it or put up the odd poster.
    You are quite within your rights to refuse to go on the residential ... I'm not saying you should or shouldn't, just that it is your decision. Colleagues should support your decision whether they are in a striking union or not just as we would support them.
    Please do not cover for striking colleagues. They are taking a day's pay cut to stand up for their beliefs.
    Carrie [​IMG]

8. My school has no NUT meetings and we are all still striking! it does not matter if you are balloted or not! Tell your head you are striking and persuade your colleagues to follow

9. What is your point>?

10. thehawk

thehawk New commenter

I was replying to how "secondary teachers are more active union members than primary" comment.
    Some of us are striking.

11. I'm a member of the NUT and I'm not striking.

12. So dub you are happy with the pay freeze, expectation of working longer, paying more each moth into your pension and getting less at the end of your working life?

Or us it just you think nothing will come of it so you will let your colleague lose a days pay and you will have lost nothing if it doesn't work and reaped the benefits if it does!!

13. Well said RR!

14. I voted yes in the ballot but have decided not to go out. I'm thinking about the here and now and cannot afford to lose a days pay. There are a few NUT members in my school and none of them are going out on strike. The changes are going to happen whether we like it or not. Everybody has the right to make up their own mind about whether they will go out on strike or not and no one has the right to judge them because of their decision.

15. Dub73 I am with you on this one - it is up to individuals to decide and those who choose not to should not be made to feel bad. You have to do what is best for you and I certainly can not afford to loose a days pay. Our school is split, half want to and half dont so the HT is letting individuals decide and getting supply in to cover those who do.

16. Supply to cover the classes of the teachers that go on strike - Im not sure thats a good idea. I know in my school the classes of striking teachers (which there are none) would have been closed. Classes cloesd for previous strike action that was taken.

17. It is illegal for supply agencies to cover striking teachers, I don't care if you think you've not got the right to be judged, you should feel ashamed.
    And to the other non-strikers-god help you if you ever did need your union due to redundancy, allegations etc etc because those willing to LOSE not loose a day's pay have long memories!!

18. Don't feel one bit ashamed. Don't care about what my colleagues at work do. I'm my own person and I will do what I want to do.
    Gone are the days when I have to go out on strike just because my union says so.

19. The you should renounce your membership of a striking union and join one that says it won't strike. Oh yes, and if the strike is successful, you should give up the pension that you've done ***-all to protect while your coleagues have sacrificed income to try to protect it.
    I can ill afford a day's pay either, but I can afford to lose a day's pay in extra pension contributions every month even less. That's what you're looking at if these changes get through.

20. HTs aren't allowed to bring in supply to cover striking teachers.