1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary National strategy

Discussion in 'Primary' started by rghb, Nov 10, 2015.

1. rghb

rghb New commenter

Hi all,

was hoping someone maybe able to help me as am going round in circles!
    Does anyone know what came into play when the National Strategy finished in 2011?
    Or was there just a gap between then and the publication of the new National Curriculum 2013?

Thanks in advanced

struggling student living in bureaucracy!

2. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

The National Strategy was replaced by the Primary Framework in around 2006 or 7 I think. They both followed the most recent National Curriculum and were in place until the new curriculum was implemented in 2014 (2015 for yrs 2 and 6).

There were separate strategies and frameworks for English and maths (or literacy and numeracy as some bright spark decided they should be called).

What the strategies and frameworks had in common is that they were both fairly dire and that far too much money was spent on putting them together and training schools up on using them.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

My understanding is that the QCA Schemes of Work based on the 2000 curriculum that many schools used were not compulsory and these were eventually archived. (See below). The National Curriculum programmes of study were statutory and remained in place until the new curriculum was introduced.

From Teachfind related to QCA schemes

Why have materials been removed from the National Curriculum website?

In the Schools white paper ‘The Importance of Teaching’ published on 22 November 2010 Ministers set out their plans to reduce the amount of guidance and materials offered to schools. They believe that schools should be free to use their own professional judgement about how they teach, without unnecessary prescription.

What does this mean for schools/head teachers/classroom teachers?

Teachers can make their own judgement about the resources they use to prepare and teach the curriculum or other related topics. Where schools do want guidance, online copies of QCDA materials are still available for schools and others to access if they wish.

4. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

No the QCA schemes weren't compulsory and nor were the Frameworks or Strategies for English and Maths. The only thing that has ever been statutory has been the National Curriculum.

marlin likes this.
  5. rghb

rghb New commenter

Thank you so much for your response. That's much more clear in my mind. I understand that they were just there as a guide and only the NC was statutory!

6. Malenko

Malenko New commenter

Depending on your background and to what end you are requiring the information the following may be useful.

The above is true with regard to the National Curriculum (in all its implemented iterations) has been the only statuatory document with regard (not the QCA Schemes of Work or the "Stratgies").

However the Cambrige Primary Review's final report "Children, their World, their Education" noted ...

So there whilst only NC was literally statutory, NLS, NNS and PNS in practice had the same effect. As such the New NC replaced the old NC officially, but perhaps as much the PNS in practice (though obviously this only covers the two main core subjects).

7. Msz

Msz Established commenter

Many schools chose not to follow the NLS/NLF/PNS

8. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Indeed. Although you needed to ensure that what you had in place, in terms of medium and long-term planning, was rigorous enough. Quite a job to do your own, particularly in a small school. I felt they had their uses in mapping long-term plans, at least.

Likewise the QCA schemes. Whilst the lessons ideas in them were often dull, where they were good was in mapping out progression and coverage. I have to say, I thought the science QCA schemes were generally quite good.

9. Msz

In 6 Ofsted inspections I've never been asked to produce written planning.

10. nick909

nick909 Star commenter

Nor have I. I haven't mentioned Ofsted.

11. Msz

True
    Luckily the long term planning is curriculum content