1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary Music Budget?

Discussion in 'Music' started by jfs12, Jan 20, 2011.

1. I'm a first year teacher at a primary school in London. I've been asked to make a bid for my proppsed budget, and I'm not sure how much is reasonable and/or practical to bid for. Ideally I'd like to order some new instruments (some drums and small hand percussion) as well as some posters, CD's, choir scores, and possibly some multimedia programs, just to name a few. The program had been neglected for a few many years and as a result, instruments and resources are scace. Furthermore, does anybody have any good music programs to suggest other than Sibelius/Groovy Music?

So the long and short of it is what is a reasonable budget to sustain a healthy primary music program per year? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

2. I'm a first year teacher at a primary school in London. I've been asked to make a bid for my proppsed budget, and I'm not sure how much is reasonable and/or practical to bid for. Ideally I'd like to order some new instruments (some drums and small hand percussion) as well as some posters, CD's, choir scores, and possibly some multimedia programs, just to name a few. The program had been neglected for a few many years and as a result, instruments and resources are scace. Furthermore, does anybody have any good music programs to suggest other than Sibelius/Groovy Music?

So the long and short of it is what is a reasonable budget to sustain a healthy primary music program per year? Any advice is greatly appreciated!

3. jonowen

jonowen Occasional commenter

Hi, can you ask the HT or whoever is responsible for the school's budget, how much money you are allowed to spend? Will you be teaching all ages? Let me tell you what I did in a similar position, allbeit in a secondary schooI.
    I started in a my new school 5 years ago and the dept. was in need of modernising. The HT said I was to make a shopping list then get back to him and take it from there. As no money had been spent for a long time, there was a budget. I bought a new Yamaha electric piano+stool, replaced 8 keyboards, spent about £500 on books, bought a Coomber (recording machine)+mics, a sound system for concerts which we share with Drama or any other dept. requiring such a system, 10 new guitars, 3 new electric guitars+2 bass guitars. Fortunately the posters are in good condition and for the extra wall space, I made up and laminated some note charts.
    I can't help you with Sibelius/Groovy music but maybe someone else will have ideas!
    I would be firmly assertive in your bid and don't under-estimate if possible! Insist on the absolute basics to get strarted and you could always fund-raise for more equipment as the year progresses.
    Good luck with this project - let us know how you get on!

4. silverfern

silverfern New commenter

Could be a good idea to write a short 'justification' beside each request, eg. £xxx worth of CDS - to diversify the musical styles (eg. world, classical, popular) that students listen to, £xxx worth of percussion - to allow creative composition work.
    If the school has particular goals that they're working towards, you could try and make sure that your 'justifications' match these quite well, therefore making your purchases more 'essential'.

5. Hi,
    I'm in my first year as a primary Music subject leader too, in a school where Music hasn't been a big priority. Top tips from my 4 whole months of experience!!
    • Check what you have already. I have found 10, very well hidden, in their wrapping, half size guitars!!
    • Try to do a quick audit (even informally, just by keeping eyes and ears open) about where your school's weaknesses are and think about what resources might help with them. Eg, we have loads of percussion instruments, but very little tuned instruments of any kind and no resources to help composition. Or ICT!
    Please keep in touch and let me know how it goes - I'd love some advice on how you get on with ordering new bits and what you go for.

6. sparklepig2002

sparklepig2002 Star commenter

I work in a one form entry junior and infant school. I have had £500 per year for the past few years - and nothing this year! £500 is enough to tick over,as ther school is quite well resourced. You would need a lot more if you are starting from scratch. I would put in a wish list and see what you get. Good luck