1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary MFL

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by katemurt, Feb 27, 2012.

1. I have an MA module for MFL in primary ks2. What are the current hot topics/ 'fashionable' academic research ideas at the moment?

2. I have an MA module for MFL in primary ks2. What are the current hot topics/ 'fashionable' academic research ideas at the moment?

3. I have a little website inspired by my recent MEd with the OU in linguistics. Although the example materias I mention are rather more for secondary pupils, the basic ideas would (and do) work with young learners too.
    http://manxman.ch/moodle2/course/view.php?id=4
    The approach has been used quite successfully with migrant and aborigine learners in Australia originally but has found increasing echo in L" approaches world wide.
    Regards

4. runaway

runaway New commenter

It seems there is a lack of evidence/research into what is actually achieved by students as a result of ks2 teaching at present.

5. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

I did do a little Primary teaching - I was allowed to go to one Primary school for one lesson (about 40 minutes) per week to work with years 4-6. Eventually it was years 5-6. I don't do it now because my secondary timetable is too full.

I was just told not to do writing with them but otherwise they didn't mind what I did. I wasn't sure what to do, so I did numbers 1-20, alphabet, days and months, colours, pets, family, café and lots more - all sorts of bits and pieces. They seemed to enjoy it which was the idea, and they seemed to remember stuff very well - better than my KS3 pupils.

However, when they arrive at secondary school they are mixed with pupils who have done no language, or different languages etc. So they do tend to end up going over stuff they have done - although they write it this time.

I am not sure about this - I don't see how, unless they study the languages they know they will be doing at the next school, it will benefit them directly, but they get used to learning another language, get used to the idea that there are different languages.

Those in my year 7 class now whom I taught in Primary do seem to have more confidence and be at an advantage, but maybe that's partly because they know me too.

6. runaway

runaway New commenter

Hi again
    Sorry wasn't clear - I am a big fan of primary languages See my website http://primarymfl.ning.com what I meant is there IS a general lack of research and evidence in the area of what has been achieved. There have been several recent calls for concrete research and evidence on various fora including the ELL forum but very little seems to be around which is hampering those who need it to give guidance to ministers to produce a (desperately late) steer for the new curriculum.
    Of course it works but where is our evidence to prove that?

7. I am looking for topics of research and methodology not language topics for the lessons.