1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary MFL subject inspection

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by FenellaF, Feb 24, 2011.

1. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post">Howdy! I am the MFL co-ordinator and in 2 weeks we have a subject inspection by HMI. I am understandably crapping myself, and wondered if anyone has had one and could pass some pearls of wisdom onto me.

Thank you.

Opps, sorry, ahem..

Merci!!!
    </td></tr></table>

2. FenellaF

FenellaF New commenter

<table cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tr><td class="post">Howdy! I am the MFL co-ordinator and in 2 weeks we have a subject inspection by HMI. I am understandably crapping myself, and wondered if anyone has had one and could pass some pearls of wisdom onto me.

Thank you.

Opps, sorry, ahem..

Merci!!!
    </td></tr></table>

3. henriette

henriette New commenter

Do what you usually do or the little darlings will tell teh Inspector "she doesn't usually do this"
    Make the classes fun and lively
    Make sure the children get to use the lang in Speaking, not just W/R/L

4. runaway

runaway New commenter

5. Hi! I laughed out loud at your comment "crapping yourself"! I'm also in the same position that you found yourself in! I'm the MFL co-ordinator in a small village school and work p.t sharing my Y3/4 class.
    If you could share your HMI experiences and any valuable tips, I'd be very grateful.

Muchas gracias!

6. Hi fellow MFL co-ordinators.
    I've just been through a subject inspection too ( last Thursday) and it felt like a personal inspection as I was observed teaching 3 lessons, one after the other!
    We got "Good" overall, with outstanding for teaching (she said smugly).
    My tip would be to make sure each lesson observed is showing how a different aspect is being developed, so I did a mainly oral lesson with Y3, a shared big book with Y4 and some writing and research with Y5. The inspector especially liked my use of African countries and the playing of African music during the lesson with Y5 to develop cultual knowledge: she said it was a refreshing break from the stereotype ( I'll try and put the plan and resources online). She also liked the way I had a powerpoint with Y3 with images and words on, and then had three different questions on flashcards each time for the children to answer ( Quelle couleur/ Combien) as she felt this developed their processing and thinking skills.
    Our main areas to develop were increasing reading and writing and assessment, all of which were a fair cop, so I would make sure you have evidence for how these are being implemented ( these were all identified as key areas in my own subject development plan so the inspector was happy with that too).
    Good luck if it happens to you, and keep telling yourself it's only one day!

7. Thanks for sharing this, I really appreciate this!
    The African resources would be great as our KS1 class have just done Africa as their topic and therefore we plan to include some African work, basic Swahili and an around the world languages I. D.
    Roll on the day and get it over and done with!