1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary MFL and ICT research

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by monikapazio, Dec 10, 2010.

1. Hello everybody,

I'm doing research on integration of ICT into primary MFL and I'm trying to gather some ideas regarding teachers' attitudes, ICT and MFL knowledge and pedagogy. I'd be really grateful if you could answer the following questions:

1. Do you have positive or negative attitudes towards integration ICT into primary MFL?
    2. Do you have positive attitudes towards teaching MFL?
    3. Do you have good pedagogical knowledge regarding ICT integration?
    4. How good is your knowledge of the foreign language that you teach?
    5. What do you consider to be effective classroom pedagogy that incorporates ICT? Examples of how you used ICT to teach foreign languages and why you did this are welcome :)

2. dalej

dalej New commenter

Hi,
    I've just put a link to your request out on Twitter. Hopefully some will answer your questions here.
    Joe

3. Hi there. I'll give you my responses below but just a thought before starting: if you are trying to do balanced research here you probably won't get it by asking on TES because many of the people here ARE positive towards ICT and and MFL teaching - those who aren't, or who are less confident - will not come here.
    1) I have a positive attitude towards integrating ICT into primary MFL
    2) I have positive attitude towards teaching MFL tempered with the realism of 2 decades teaching 11-16 year old children who see English as a global language with no need for them to make an effort:)
    3) I like to think I have good pedagogical knowledge regarding ICT integration - but I' ve probably worked it out for myself over the years
    4) Good - but I am secondary trained with a 1st class honours (UCL 1981) - it might be that primary MFL teachers are less confident
    5) Effective pedagogy is when the ICT complements the learning and isn't used just for the sake of "going on the computers" or doing something "fun". I am a fan of games on IWB or VLEs because for primary children these are a great incentive to learn, revise or consolidate learning. You'll find loads of good examples of ICT used to teach foreign languages at primary if you do a search:) (they are all my friends!)

4. 1.Very positive but a lot of teachers are scared of it still
    2. I'm a language teacher by training working in the primary sector
    3. Yes
    4. V good but I know a lot of primary teachers don't feel confident
    5. I use multi-media to integrate text sound video on IWB. I use powerpoint to teach grammar points using animation / motion paths - I use web 2 tools for blogging / publishing pupil work / school linking and want to use Skype for video conferencing soon. Use published sodtware such as TaskMagic, brilliant software.
    6 Divided into Teacher tool for presentation and practice of new language : Pupil tools for practising the language : Pupil tools for publishing their work - So 3 Ps! Present - Practise - Publish to a real audience. ICT is most useful for connecting teachers - teachers (CPD) and pupils - pupils. Also a great way of bringing authentic materials and culture into the classroom.

5. Thank you!

6. Do you tend to focus on IWB activities only or use laptops/PCs as well?

7. runaway

runaway New commenter

1 - Positive towards integration of ICT into primary languages
    2 - Positive towards teaching MFL - I absolutely love it
    3 - Very good knowledge re integration - as in equal to that of the rest of the the primary curriculum - I am a primary AST
    4 - Degree level & family background in main language, A level and degree subsidiary in others taught, also I am learning Polish and Nepali now through the children and families I work with but will not be taking exams and am certainly not proficient but encourage classes to look at storybooks and share these languages with their classmates with the support of EMTAS team & community volunteers
    5 - ICT is effective when it is incorporated as a useful tool for learning in any subject in the primary curriculum. If something can be done better and faster on paper than I am not going to muck about with a laptop.
    For communication purposes you can not beat skypeing & video-conferencing with partner schools - but the learning focus is the conversation not the technology. Ditto web 2.0 tools such as voicethread. Blogging and podcasting are great for providing a real audience and helping the children to focus and organise their writing/speaking with clear purpose. It is also great for creating increased independence of learning as you gradually hand over more blog control to the children and they make more editorial and content decisions themselves with increasing sophistication.
    audacity, vokis, easispeak microphones and my latest favourite - TTS speaking miniwhiteboards and talking tin-lids enable the personalisation of listening and speaking work in a way that nothing else can - no more one-by-one performances and the children have always proved far faster than I at mastering the controls of video and audio.
    Certain skills in ICT have to be taught anyway and frequently ICT is one of those subjects that seems to be in search of content. So for example when teaching text-manipulation and publishing skills it makes perfect sense for the children to be producing cafe menus and leaflets about the local area, teaching powerpoint and animation links very nicely indeed with story-telling in languages, if I am looking at tally, bar-graphs and pie-charts in maths and then moving on to create the same in ICT, we need content so this is the obvious time to do a sondage in languages and get the children to collect data in the target language. Ditto the incredibly dull ICT task of teaching children to use the roma/bee-bot, just by using a floor map with vocabulary or a French street floor map and adding directions in the language we can teach and reinforce multiple skills.
    When using google-maps in Geography and looking at the unit that compares a foreign settlement with your own local area - well it's the obvious choice to zoom in on Cherbourg or French-speaking Africa, and then switch to web-cams. Sometimes from the IWB with the whole-class and then over to individual computers for the children to explore (with guidance and support as necessary) for themselves.
    There are some great websites with e-safety advice for children in French and thats really effective for showing children that actually you are not just making this stuff up - it's common practise internationally.
    The biggest advantage of ICT is it has made the world much closer and easier to access - and unlike a textbook is interactive and flexible.
    But you do get power-cuts etc - not a problem as long as ICT is the tool not the aim.
    Hope this helps - good luck

8. runaway

runaway New commenter

Just a quickie - I presumed you meant by integration of ICT into primary MFL the things the children do, not what the teacher is using; as in I expect them to be producing the powerpoints, bar charts, controlling the roma, doing the podcasting and blogging (although I moderate they upload) etc?

9. Thank a lot everybody. Runaway that is very useful!