1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary Maths Teaching only

Discussion in 'Independent' started by sid1913, Nov 20, 2019.

1. sid1913

sid1913 New commenter

Does anybody know the schools that employ Maths teachers to teach only Maths?

I'm currently on the international circuit in SE Asia and want to come back to teaching predominantly Maths.

Thanks

2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

The maths staff in most secondary independent schools will teach only maths. Only in very small schools would some staff be expected to teach another subject.

3. ViolaClef

ViolaClef Lead commenter

In a large prep school the Head of Maths may teach only Maths, although sometimes they are required to help with sport or one other subject.

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Sorry, I didn't notice that the title refers to 'Primary' when I wrote message #2.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

We are a tiny prep and until recently the head of maths taught maths in years 4-6 and about 3 lessons a week of something else. They now teach maths in years 5 and 6 and a bit more time with their form class teaching other things.

There are a number of preps near me who appoint 'maths teachers' but are preps which go up to year 8.

6. modgepodge

modgepodge Established commenter

I’m a maths teacher at a prep school. I teach approx 16 periods per week of maths and 3-4 other subjects (RE, history, geography, art, not all every week) and the rest of my timetable is PPA.

In my experience this only happens at private schools though, the vast majority of state schools have class teachers who teach almost everything. I do know of one or 2 people who have arranged with other teachers that they’ll teach all the maths and the other all the English, with the head’s agreement of course, but this wasn’t in their contract.