1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary maths - new maths programme

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by lunymar, May 8, 2012.

1. A friend was telling me the other day about a TV programme he saw, maybe a year ago, about a concept which he thought was referred to as "new maths". The programme featured a trial on a Year 6 class who were coming up to their SATS. He said it involved the moving of plastic cups around the classroom, but more than that he couldn´t remember! Would like to read up on this or watch the programme if still available, but can´t find any more info under my own steam. Can anyone help?

2. A friend was telling me the other day about a TV programme he saw, maybe a year ago, about a concept which he thought was referred to as "new maths". The programme featured a trial on a Year 6 class who were coming up to their SATS. He said it involved the moving of plastic cups around the classroom, but more than that he couldn´t remember! Would like to read up on this or watch the programme if still available, but can´t find any more info under my own steam. Can anyone help?

3. Have you looked on Teachers TV? I do recall a programme involving cups too....but can't remember anything beyond that...sorry!
    Looking on here at the Teachers TV programmes, might be a start?

4. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

5. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

Richard Dunne
    C4
    Dispatches Kids Don't Count

6. star9

star9 New commenter

Was it the one with the different coloured cups. Pupils put up a cup to show how they feel they are doing. Green I need no help, yellow I'm thinking, red I need help. Was that the same programme with the lollipop sticks?

7. strawbs

strawbs Occasional commenter

I think there are 2 different "cups" programmes
    The coloured cups for Afl and lollipop sticks was Dylan William on BBC Classroom Experiment.
    The Maths cups moving to and from the Maths table was Richard Dunne, C4, Dispatches Kids Don't Count