1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary Maths - Any Words of Advice Please?

Discussion in 'Mathematics' started by tin rose, Jan 12, 2011.

1. Hi
    I am just about to begin my first teaching post in a lovely school, with a fairly'interesting' Year 6 class. I am feeling enthusiastic (though v nervous of course!) about all aspects apart from Maths :-( I have GCSE and am fairly ok at the maths itself, but I have realised that I learnt it merely via rules and memorising; I have actually quite limited 'Mathematical Thinking/Understanding' and am concerned about this.
    Does anyone have any tips or book/website recommendations? I would love to feel more positive about it and be able to confidently pass this on to my children in class!
    Many thanks

2. Thanks for your help - I have done a bit more reading (inc. the Haylock book, as well as some KS2 Maths Revision books full of pictures!) so will just stop worrying and get on with it!
    :)

3. LiamD

LiamD New commenter

Good luck!
    We need lots of primary teachers who are enthusiastic about Maths. Please go overboard about how much you adore adding, profess your devotion to division and rave about ratios. The kids will think you're mad but some of the lunacy will rub off. Maths needs champions not KS2 tests.
    Then, when you've done all that, get a job in one of our feeder primaries

4. Colleen_Young

Colleen_Young Occasional commenter

Have a look at nrich.
    They have mapping documents making suggestions for which of their problems relate to various aspects of the curriculum.
    http://nrich.maths.org/curriculum