1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary Languages Job!

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by paharman, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Hi !
    I would really appreciate anyone's thoughts on the following dilemma!

Having taught MFL in 3 secondary schools for over 21 years, I am at a crossroads. I have been offered a job as a Primary Languages Coordinator in a local Primary school but also have the choice of staying at my current school where languages are very popular.

Is there anyone out there who has made the switch to Primary Languages and if so what were your experiences? I have already done quite alot of teaching in Primary schools ( as far back as 1989!) but am unsure what it would be like full time!

What would I miss? What aspects would be better? Are there plenty of quality resources out there to help me?

Would really appreciate any advice/thoughts.

Merci!

Pierrot!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

To me biggest difference between Primary & Secondary (I've done both) is Secondary is much more subject-orientated & Primary is much more child-centred, cross-curricular- though I appreciate that is changing with the new KS3 'Big Picture' Curriculum.
    Generally Primary children are more enthusiastic & willing to be engaged, but children with any difficulties have less maturity & strategies to help them & can be more of a problem in the classroom. Primary is much more hands-on, full-on & can be physically draining with no breaks during the day, most have to work through break & lunchtimes preparing or following up children.
    Resources are plentiful see my suggestions in the reply to ' Secondary school teacher dabbling in Primary school French- the way forward
    https://community.tes.co.uk/forums/p/474218/6619234.aspx#6619234.

</h2>