1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary jobs

Discussion in 'Personal' started by hotchoc6, Feb 27, 2016.

1. hotchoc6

hotchoc6 Occasional commenter

Thinking of applying for other teaching jobs. I need help with the following:

When do you tell your head teacher you are thinking of applying for other jobs?

Do you have to get their permission before you write their name down as a reference?

I would like to visit a school before I apply just to get a feel for what it is like. Should I only do this however if I am short listed?

What is the job market like at the moment for primary teachers?

2. CarrieV

CarrieV Lead commenter

When do you tell your head teacher you are thinking of applying for other jobs? When you have found one you would like to apply for.

Do you have to get their permission before you write their name down as a reference? Yes, I would be seriously ****** off if I received a request for a reference before being told that a member of staff was applying ( and schools SHOULD take up references before interviewing)

I would like to visit a school before I apply just to get a feel for what it is like. Should I only do this however if I am short listed? Absolutely NOT, visit if you are thinking of applying-I have been put off schools when shown round by the Head!

What is the job market like at the moment for primary teachers We've given up and are now resorting to recruiting disaffected secondary school teachers!

cissy3, nomad and grumpydogwoman like this.
  3. marlin

marlin Star commenter

@hotchoc6

Please do have a look at the advice Theo has given over on the Jobseekers forum.

Have a look here.

cissy3 and grumpydogwoman like this.
  4. foxtail3

foxtail3 Star commenter

I have been seriously irritated when summonsed to provide a reference for people I had no idea were applying for posts.

grumpydogwoman likes this.
  5. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Likewise.

I have been seriously irritated when asked, out of the blue, to provide a reference for an ex-member of staff of a school I left myself a long time ago and who, for all I know, has spent the last seven years in a Turkish prison.

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

As above.

Agreed, with the proviso that, if at all possible, you should visit the school at a time when it will not inconvenience your current school.

... and ex-military

7. marlin

marlin Star commenter

My link doesn't seem to work. Try again here.