1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary job share concerns - help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nessynoo15, Jun 15, 2011.

1. nessynoo15

nessynoo15 New commenter

Hello
    I just wanted to find out how other people cope with this situation! I currently work 2 days (0.4) and share with a colleague doing 0.6 (3 days). I have to go in on an additional afternoon for PPA that's not timetabled on the days I work - I get paid for 1 hour (of course I am there longer). My colleague is given 2 hours PPA on that afternoon, 35mins more than she's allowed, so she ends up having to do a club afterschool to give that time back.
    We are currently writing half of the reports/ marking half of the assessments each - reports are due every half term. Next year we will have a much larger class and there will obviously be more reports. I am currently working an additional afternoon, taking me to 0.5 as I feel bad leaving my colleague to carry on planning.
    What do other people do?
    It doesn't feel very fair, or is it just tough when you work part-time?
    Nessynoo15

2. takethatno1fan

takethatno1fan New commenter

I had that many problems with my job share partner who argued over every little piece of work, books to mark, reports to write etc etc, even though we were 0.5 each that I left. She even moaned that because I taught 3 mornings; monday, tuesday and wednesday I should plan more of the literacy units, and be responsible for more assessments and reports etc. It was a nightmare, but I think I was very unlucky.

3. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I did a job share once - the same split as you. With the best will in the world, it is very difficult to get the division of duties matched to the 0.6/0.4. I'm afraid when you work part time it is almost inevitable that you do more - one of the downsides. We divided the reports by subject rather than doing half of each subject each and tried to get the fairest split that way. We were not given an official swap over time - we had a large diary to write in, spoke on the phone or used email.
    Many moons ago I did a 0.5/0.5 split and in that we were both paid for an hour swap over time. This was before the days of PPA. Can't remember now how we split the reports - too long ago!