1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary Interview- RE

Discussion in 'Primary' started by emilyellert1, Jun 1, 2011.

1. I am a NQT andI have an interview in the next couple of weeks where I have toteach a 30min RE lesson to Yr1s.

Any ideas would be great, I don't teach RE at my school as its in my PPA time so need some ideas :)

2. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Have you asked them what area of study they are currently covering in the class?
    If they are following the QCA scheme this is a link to the units:
    http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20100612050234/http://www.standards.dfes.gov.uk/schemes2/religion/?view=get
    However, some counties have their own schemes of work.
    It would be worth an ask so that you can then look at the objectives they are currently working on and start to focus your ideas.
    You could also speak to the person who is cvering your PPA time for advice.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

Having done as marlin advises, you need to identify a learning objective first and plan activities around that in order to show progress within the time you have.
    Try to adapt activities you've used before successfully as this is not a time to take risks, no matter how attractive someone else's idea might be.

4. All great ideas thanks!!!!
    I have had a look and their topic is 'special places'. To be honest I think this oculd be anything. As the schools are all on half term at the mo I can't get hold of anyone. Speaking to my PPA teacher was good, but all of her ideas were really themed e.g christmas, easter, eid etc.
    Any ideas of quick activities that you could tie into RE. I do a lot of drama and art in my class but for an interview I think this is going to be very tricky to set up?

5. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

Doing a quick search on Google I found this:
    http://www.icteachers.co.uk/resources/re/specialplaces.pdf
    You could have a look at the learning objectives in this document to help you start with your planning. I noticed one was To know a key prayer from a particular religious faith. The plan suggests using illuminated writing as part of the resources. Could you bring in your Art expertise with this?
    Alternatively you could look at the first objective and perhaps bring some Drama or Art into that?

6. I would be inclined to take the theme 'peaceful places' and explore what places make them feel peaceful, perhaps construct a peaceful area in the room with material etc you have brought and then link with the theme of religious places.

7. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

I think id show a range of buildings of worship, then choose a 'special place' within a certain religion to teach about (e.g. a Mandir). What makes it special? How do we know? How do people treat it to show this? What purpose does his special place serve? Etc... Then get them to relate the idea of having a special place to their own lives - you could play some soothing music, arrange cushions & fabric to create a really calm ambience for your special place. Their task could be to design and annotate their own special place.