1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Primary International Move

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by ayo331, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Hey guys
    So after much thinking and research I have decided to move to UAE with 2 dependents and need some advise. I have already applied through a british agency but was told that most schools only pay for 1 dependent to attend school this annoyed me but, I continued with my own research and applied to a couple of schools on the TES website and am still waiting anxiously and was wondering if being single and a divorcee with 2 dependents might limit my chances of getting a job in the UAE. Thanks[​IMG]

2. Are you male or female? This might make a difference.
    There are schools, which because of parents opinion, will not want to employ a single mother. This is more of a problem in Muslim countries.
    However only paying for one dependent is not unusual.

3. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

If you are applying for jobs in the UAE, then you might as well spread your net a bit wider and try for vacancies in Qatar and Bahrain as well. I know several teachers who are single mums in Qatar.
    I would have thought that being a single mum was really your own business and it really has nothing to do with your ability to teach. Quite a few schools will agree with this way of thinking. Of course some schools do have fiercely Muslim parents and the school's management kowtows to them. Therefore they try to impose all manner of unreasonable restrictions on western staff. For example, one school in Doha refuses to allow any of its teachers to have booze licences.

4. Cool [​IMG]thanks for the reply and I am female

5. Thanks [​IMG]